Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
5,235 Posts
He is a cute guy. Welcome to the community.

Usually the males have brighter eye flairs and more distinctive blue on the front wing.
But that varies some with blood lines.
If you can get us a spread wing from the bottom of the wing picture we can be more definitive.

Reactions: Nutter

·
Super Moderator
3,573 Posts
Welcome to the forum! He’s a beauty for sure. I have a green Pacific (Kiwi) and she has no blue banding at all around her eyes so it is possible he’s a male. I would have thought the band would have been bolder, but as Ozzie says, it varies.

It is also hard to tell if he’s a Green Rump or Pacific. Green rumps are a bit smaller than Pacifics, apparently, so he could be around 26-28 grams whereas a pacific is 30-32 grams. This varies as well, of course. Kiwi was 34 grams through most of her adulthood and is around 30-31 grams now that she’s an old girl. How old is he? You could weigh him on a kitchen scale to see bearing in mind he may grow a bit depending on how old he is.

What is this little fella’s name? Parrotlets are very rewarding companions and like any animal (and human) they have their challenges. You will find a wealth of information on the forum to help you along in your journey and don’t hesitate to ask us any questions or share your stories!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Regardless if your bird is male or female, you have a cutie patootie there! Love the pics (the first one is so sweet) and welcome to the forum! If there is blue on the flight feathers then you definitely have a male. Females do not have that. They can have blue eye shadow and a blue rump, but never blue on their flight feathers!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the comments and info! We are still trying to settle on a name but are considering. My scale just ran out of batteries so I’m going to need to get one to confirm the weight. I definitely see some blue on top of the wing but not underneath. Here are some more photos

Attachments

·
Administrator
5,235 Posts
Looks female to me. You can't miss the blue on the underside of a male parrotlet wing. It's a bright indigo blue under wings. While the green rumps are missing it on the rump "thus their nickname" they still have the blue wings.

Not that it matters. Both genders are characters in their own right.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks female to me. You can't miss the blue on the underside of a male parrotlet wing. It's a bright indigo blue under wings. While the green rumps are missing it on the rump "thus their nickname" they still have the blue wings.

Not that it matters. Both genders are characters in their own right.
awesome thanks. Yea - I’m not too fussed either way. Though, it’s good to know though to help understand some behaviour or medical risks (egg binding). I really appreciate the insight.

·
Super Moderator
3,573 Posts
Yep. I agree. Female. I got Kiwi at a pet store and they did not know her gender. She was about 3 months old and they said I wouldn’t know until she hit puberty. 🤦🏻‍♀️ Pet stores are not always the most knowledgeable about these things. I wouldn’t trade Kiwi for the world though. Tons of personality and a real character in her own right!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
awesome thanks. Yea - I’m not too fussed either way. Though, it’s good to know though to help understand some behaviour or medical risks (egg binding). I really appreciate the insight.
It makes me so happy to hear someone say that they want to learn about female hormonal behaviors and the medical risks of egg laying. That is so important to know! Good for you! And that knowledge will be good for your bird also! (y) I had a female too. I felt the same way about her that Jackie does about Kiwi! 💕 So, what is your little girl's name? Keep us updated on how she is doing! And if you have any questions, feel free to ask! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts