Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thank you all for the comments!

We actually keep the torchier around because the birds like to use it as a perch (it's unplugged and no longer used as a light). Usually, if both land on it, they are near each other facing out, this time was different. Fortunately, they didn't realize what was so funny and stayed there long enough for us to get a good laugh and get the camera.

Azale,

The birds absolutely love the cage; they can actually fly around in it! Parrotlets really should have larger cages than parakeets. You can get a single version of that cage (ours is the double) for about $150 - $185. Considering your parents had sticker shock at the price of a Parrotlet compared to a parakeet, your little one will probably have to live with something smaller until a future birthday.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Elongated parrot.. LOL.

That reminds me of an "elongated" Chihuahua dog that I saw, had me laughing as well.

Nice pics and cool cage!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Kathy.

Just for a sense of scale, my wife finds it easier to get her upper body through one of the doors in the picture if she wants to do something inside the cage. When we first set it up, we were overwhelmed by its size but in reality it doesn't take up more space than the two cages + play area we had before.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought I'd add a few shots to the Sparky and MeMe picture thread.

MeMe on her pompom on the blinds in our bedroom.

MeMe in her prefered 'vertical' position. An interesting note, she can't poop from this position but she can sit still like this for a long time. We've learned that if you have her step up from this position, her first act is to deliver a present :p . So our new favorite trick is pretending the she is potty trained - we have her step up, and immediately hold her over the garbage can and tell her 'MeMe go poop!' Amazingly, it works every time! She now hunkers down and really squeezes to make sure she delivers :cool: .

Here is MeMe enthusiastically chewing on the other pompom while Sparky looks on anxiously.

The chewing continues unabated but Sparky has relaxed a bit.

Here is MeMe looking satisfied at the conclusion of a very fulfilling pompom chewing session:) .

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Art MeME is a very confident girl isn't she? Do they coexist as mates or as friends(delicate question). Were they from the same clutch of p'lets?Which one is the dominate bird,is it MeMe with her beautyshop skills? They are so cute and they have such a nice life.Last question, do they fly within the cage?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Memmey,

They are clutchmates. Relationshipwise, they exist as brother and sister - I think their hormones cause bickering more than anything else.

The dominance thing seems to go back and forth, lately MeMe's been dominant but it's not as straight forward of a relationship as one being dominant over the other.

Yes they fly within their cage - we wanted a cage that was big enough that they could fly around even when we were out and they were locked in.

Birdiemom,

Thanks.

Regards to both,

Art S.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Trudy can fly in her cage also. Huge cages are wonderful, even if they are out a lot. Trudy loves all of her toys, but adores her BIG wooden swing and BIG shaggy swing. She adores all of her rope perches! You need a big cage for those things. She really changed after she got her new cage. SO much happier!

Love all of your photos!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Even though my cage is 32x22x34 and my P'let is fully flighted - he still prefers to climb his way around it - he has gotten excellent at very fast hopping from place to place. Even when I stick my hand inside to take him out, he tries to figure a way to climb to my hand rather than just flying - now outside the cage it a whole other ball game :p ZOOM :D

·
Registered
142 Posts
The more I see these beautiful cages the more I really wish I could get one. Kai isn't fully flighted, but his wings are growing out enough that he can make little flights now.
I'm tempted to let them grow out, but I know the breeder told me it's safer to keep them short. I just hate to see him so helpless like that... like birds are supposed to fly! So i'm not sure what to do with that.
Kai I still think is a new little flyer still. Instead of trying to fly somewhere, he'd usually call out until I move him :p

Oh Art! I just love your birds. MeMe looks like she is having a blast. Thanks for sharing your pictures :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts