Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning, my wife let the birds out and left the house early. I got up about a half hour after she left and as I was heading out of the bedroom, I got hit in the head by a low flying object. It turns out Sparky decided to come visit me in the bedroom at the same time I was heading the other way! Rather than steer around me, he managed to hit the top of my head on his way through! He deflected off of the top of my head and continued. I was unhurt ;) and when I went to check on him he was fine also.

I've been strafed by Mocking birds before but never a parrotlet (they prefer to bomb me :D ).

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
514 Posts
:rolleyes:What a shock! They are such good navigators (usually) that I'm surprised. Guess he'd be more likely to be hurt than you - glad he was ok.

·
Registered
794 Posts
You need to stay out of the flight pattern..air traffic control would be nice.

Your little birds are so lucky to get to fly like that, birds are suppose to fly. It's wonderful that they get to.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jan,

I didn't have the light on and the shades were drawn so it was pretty dark in the room - I think he flys in there based on a memorized route and wasn't expecting me in his way! He almost cleared the big thing in his patgh Usually he calls out continuously as he flies but yesterday he was going stealth.

Now that I think about it, this may be the reason he's got his mouth running at full tilt when he's flying - he's yelling 'get out of the way! Coming through!!'

Pado,

No ouch, but it did kind of set the tone for the day :rolleyes: .

Memmey,

I think you're right; Ellen got buzzed by MeMe this morning! Ellen and I feel the same as you do about pet birds being allowed to fly, it what they are supposed to do.

Regards to all,

Art S.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kathy,

Thank's for the sentiment! :)

However, I'm in NEW JERSEY while you are in beautiful Vancouver. If you ever meet my birds, I suggest we do it on your turf...or maybe we wait till next winter and we all converge on Memmey's place in the warm deep south :D :D :D .

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
By the way, here is the destination - the bedroom blinds:

The birds discovered this as their favorite morning destination several years ago. My wife made the pompoms to give them something to chew on other than the door frames or the control strings for the blinds - it didn't work. A couple of weeks ago, when these pictures were taken, MeMe decided to chew through the control string and was very surprised when the binds closed as a result of her chewing through the string:rolleyes: .

The geniuses inspecting the damage they caused - they seemed proud of their work;) .

Here's MeMe on her pompom. Note: all plucking is presently focused on Sparky, MeMe has all her feathers back.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hey Art, I always wondered. How did you end up getting two birds? Were they together when you first got them? I find them absolutely adorable together!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Azale,

We got two because we didn't know what we were doing. Sparky and MeMe are clutchmates - brother and sister. I wanted to buy my wife a Parrotlet. We went to a local, reputable shop and looked at birds. I fell for Sparky and Ellen fell for MeMe. We were having a difficult time deciding so the girl working at the store said 'take both and I'll give you a discount.' So we did.

Having two is harder than one and they don't bond as strongly to you. I think it is a very different relationship with two birds (even without the potential problems associated with having multiple parrotlets) that it would have been with one.

That said, we are nuts about both of them and they seem to like us too ;) .

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Really, I'm always so jealous when someone buys their girlfriend/wife a pet. I LOVE animals but my boyfriend never buys them for me. Or maybe it's because I have a handful already...:D

P.S. Oh, they seem proud of their work, alright!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
There probably aren't too many of us who haven't 'thought' about getting another P'let at one point or another -

I still have my moments, like when we have plans on a weekend and are gone all day - I think if Mr. Peepers had a 'friend' at least he wouldn't be alone all day.

Art its very helpful to hear your point on having two - I think you should interject that experience as much as possible - I for one really enjoy it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts