Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The longer I have parrotlets the more I am fascinated with their personality, their intelligence, their ingenuity, but mainly how much of an individuals they are. Case in point I have had two rescues that I am coming understanding were quite a bit older than I thought when I got them. I was told they were 2 year olds. A vet when I got them said he thought they were closer to 5 years old. Now that we have Rio I am starting to think they are right. Jules and Bo had much more experience than Rio has. Rio has more energy than I ever saw from the older birds. All the birds are distinct individuals but Jules and Bo was much more alike. More skittish little things that I had to bring to us. Rio, on the other hand, has little or no fear. Attempts all. Dumb as a stump but smart as a whip. He is learning goobs by the day. He has attitude that is different than my blues. To be frank my wife nail him when she said he is a little punk.

Now to my point of this message. All parrotlets are messy eaters, but Jules and Bo are fastidious eaters compared to Rio. When Rio eats the world explodes. Add to that Rio seems to be a dunker. With Jules water could last for days, she never left droppings, never dropped food in her water cup. Rio on the other hand, every morning is an experiment in disgusting soup making馃ィ . How a bird can make such a mess of 12 sleep hours amazes and disgust me. Everything food, toys, rope droppings all go in his bowl. Add to that he maybe into coprophagia :poop:, I am not sure it maybe he just like flinging the stuff. Teenagers..... rough times for any species...

So what are your experiences with parrotlet eating habits....

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #3
None of my parrotlets over the years have ever been dunkers
This is a first for me. It is interesting. He has been learning so much from Jules but I have no clue where he got this habit from. I am finding odd things in this soup. In his sleep cage he has a chew toy made of paper. I have never seen him chew on it but every morning there are colored pieces of chewed up paper in his water bowl.

He is also a drinker. Our birds tend to eat with us. Rio insist on trying to drink out of our glasses so to deter him we have gotten so we set a glass of water up for him and Jules. In the morning breakfast they do a morning drink and wash up.

Registered
Huey would try anything. Sunshine will lick everything and 99 out of 100 actually make a face of disgust lol. Sunshine is a tosser. He tosses anything large than a small seed. I have started smashing safflower seeds open and putting back in his bowl hoping he likes them and will learn to eat them.

He is so different than Huey I get what you mean. Sunshine is a drinker as well and Ive noticed he drinks with food in his beak. Huey would have food in his water but so far not Sunshine.

Registered
Quite a misfit you got there, Ozzie. Too bad there is no juvenile detention for parrotlets. 馃槂 Cleopatra is a pretty neat bird as far as parrots go.(She manages to keep her water bowl clean, etc.) But she can fling veggies and fruit as good as the best of them. I call it her, 鈥渇eeding the jungle鈥 because many animals in the jungle benefit from parrots tossing fruit from treetops. Even plants benefit from it - I guess it鈥檚 just part of mother nature鈥檚 plan, and there is nothing we can do about it except clean up after them. Just one of the many chores we slaves have to do. :rolleyes:

I hope Rio is not corrupting Jules too much! God help you if they both start ganging up on you. 馃槂

Registered
Monty always dunks his food! It's cute, he'll pick up two pellets in his mouth, drop them in, pick up one slightly wet one and eat it while the other one gets mushy, then he'll eat the second one. Make a mess.

Every morning when I wake him up he has pooped twice in his night food bowl :rolleyes: without fail.

I have a screen that was originally part of a bath attachment for his cage that snapped, I use that to cover him and the food when I feed him messy stuff like strawberries. Otherwise it's EVERYWHERE.

Registered
Percy is a food dunker! Most days I change her water morning and afternoon. Between food and taking a bath in her water it gets pretty messy. She's also a food slinger. I keep clear contact paper or shelf liner on the wall behind her cage. It makes cleaning the wall so much easier.

Registered
Rio sounds interesting! When you first mentioned dunking, I thought of dunking like a basketball. But, I remembered Bogie dunking certain foods and for the life of me, I couldn't remember which foods. So, I looked in his life journal under " Food Experiences" and there it was...he dunked the broccoli I sprinkled on top of his food and he dunked some of the broken up nutraberry pieces that were very hard. I had to change his water bowl after breakfast! Ozzie, enjoy that little whipper-snapper and take notes! You seem to have a very interesting p'lett. I look at Bogie's journal every day and it brings my spirit up in these dark times. Tell your birds you love them every day! You won't be lying!

David馃

Registered
Squirtles doesn't dunk ... but he IS MESSY!

Something I have noticed is that he absolutely detests anything on his beak - even water. He'll have a drink, especially if I offer it .... then immediately he leans across and wipes his beak on my arm, or shoulder straight away ... have another sip and wipes again! God forbid a bit of grated carrot is on there too! WIPE on Mama. LOL
In your bird's defense, I also don't like food on my mouth! Monty also has to wipe his beak on on me.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #10
Both my guys beak wipe a bit. It is funny in that we know when they are done eating with us because they fly over to me to beak wipe on my collar. My wife tends to wear collarless shirts so she actually gets them a damp napkin to clean their beak with.

After I wrote this I realize how spoiled our little ones are and how trained we seem to be.

Reactions: AnimalKaperz

Registered
Pip is definitely a beak wiper on me or on one of his perches. He is quite messy with berries, so I finally hung a large piece of painters plastic (clear) on the wall behind his cage. He once accidentally dropped a sunflower seed in his water dish and he looked so sad that I got it out for him. And you are right about how spoiled they are. I adore that little tyrant.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts