Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Baby Bobo is 4 1/4 months old. Since this morning he hasn't been himself. He is resting a lot more than playing. If I'm not holding him he goes to his little sleep tent. His feathers seem ruffled and he looks likes he feels uncomfortable. There have been a lot of fluffy little feathers and white dander in the past 2 days; a LOT more than usual. He always likes me to hold him in my palm and scratch around his neck. Today, however, he keeps resting in my hand with his eyes closed a lot of the time. He lies there even if I'm not petting him. Sometimes when I scratch his neck he lets out a little screech like I hit a tender spot, so I've just been gently petting him instead. When he's not in the palm of my hand, resting in his sleep tent, or eating, he is intently working on his feathers with his beak, his feathers are all ruffled, and the white stuff is falling out. Even while he is eating his feathers appear ruffled. Is any of this normal? I can't take him to a vet today and I'm really worried that he is sick. He is eating well, drinking water, and his poop is normal. Help!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Even though Bobo is eating and drinking okay, there still could be a problem. If his neck area is giving him pain he may have injured it somehow. That could be the reason he is not being himself and resting a lot - or it could be something else. The best thing to do may be to get him checked out by an avian vet.

I hope he is okay!

·
Super Moderator
4,833 Posts
If you are worried then a vet visit is always a good idea.

Outside that, given the age and description it sounds like he may have a molt going. Maybe his first bad one. It would have the the symptoms you are talking about. Lots of dropped feathers, lots of white dander, sensitive neck and other feathers causing little squeaks and squeals as you touch / scratch incoming feathers. ruffled feathers, sleepiness. Especially if his poops look normal, he is eating and is not dropping weight.

So yeah, since he is young it is good to get him checked out since baby birds are so delicate. It may not be as bad as you fear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for the information. I plan on taking Bobo to a vet as soon as they can fit us in, and if he still isn't himself tomorrow, I will take him to the Emergency Avian Vet.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Just an afterthought…if he has lost a lot of feathers from molting, maybe he is feeling the cold a little more and staying fluffed up to stay warm. And he may be staying in your hand because it is nice and warm. Just in case this is so, you may want to make sure to avoid any drafts and keep him warm. I am glad you are going to get him checked out.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Sorry you are having a problem, but writing us is a wise thing to do. It is a good thing to get Bobo to a vet soon. What I can suggest is that you make up a list of questions to ask your avian vet before you go to him/her.

Ask questions like: How much does Bobo weigh?... What foods do you suggest I feed him?...Why is Bobo acting the way he is acting?...Is Bobo a male or female? ( This is not a silly question!)......Just ask any questions you want! Please make up a list...it will help you understand your Bobo a lot better.

Let us know what happens. If Bobo gets worse, please take action quickly. They can go downhill fast!

David and Vicki;):rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
You may want to look into getting a scale with the tare and gram functions so that you can weigh your bird on a regular basis. If your bird loses weight unexpectedly, that could be a potential sign of your bird being sick or having a medical issue.

Many vets are not familiar with parrotlets and likely will be unable to correct sex them visually.

When asking your vet for what to feed to your parrotlet, it is important to realize that they are not experts on avian nutrition. In vet school, they are trained extensively on diseases and medical issues. They read "studies" funded by pellet manufacturers. A number of vets push pellets for every single type of bird even though they do not eat the same things in the wild. Pellets are not recommended for parrotlets because they are linked to liver and kidney issues. The only brand of pellets that is recommended, if one chooses to feed them them, is Tops because they are produced differently than other brands. Parrotlets are seed eating birds and need quality seed available along with vegetables on a daily basis.

I know someone who started out in vet school and changed their focus because there was so little taught about avian nutrition.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts