Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Nice job, Jillian. I do have 2 suggestions. In each of his cages (daily cage and sleep cage) Bitsy's favorite perch is his manzita perch. He prefers the multi-branch kind. If you don't know what I mean, I'll try to find a link for you. They are available at some pet stores and, of course, online. He also loves this perch:

http://www.birdsupplies.com/Comfy-Perch-Cotton-Bird-Perch-p/bda5610x.htm

I didn't leave any of the regular perches in his cage. I'm not sure what others think - but I would take the regular perches out.

Good luck!
Jan

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I love that cage. I have a white one just like that.

Nice cage! Those rope perches are the bomb!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Boings, "atom" type toys like the white one in the top right corner, rope perches, coconut toys, manzanita perches, grooming perches, rope knots like outside of the door to the left, and the wood, string and bell toys are great. The big shaggy swing is great fun too. Chipper loves larger toys, not small ones. They are more fun to crawl one. She loves her big swing too. Those are some more ideas. You can add rope perches outside too. Do you have playgyms? They are fun to fly to and play on.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
you definately need a swing- my boys fight over theirs all day
and they love rope perches and boings... also slinkies are fun for them
and some sort of preening/schredding toy would be good
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5059+5648+16415&pcatid=16415
they love this jellyfish toy--
I use this perch for outside of my cage so they can extend their play area
http://www.bird.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=500495

I also have a chain I made of baby teething rings they love going in and out of http://www.flickr.com/photos/redskynight/1382899713/

that should cover it for now

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey everyone!

Just an update!

I got 2 manzita(sp?) perches, but she doesn't go on them at all!

I also got her a comfy perch today.

I just ordered that jellyfish toy, a bird bath for the cage, some beak appetits and this cool manzita swing with fleece all around the edges.

She went on her swing the first day I got her, and that swing won't fit in her new cage. She will not go on her new swing though :(. I put her on it and she hung out for a while, but hasn't been on it since.

I have a question. This is probably going to be stupid, because you all know the answer, but here goes lol....

I have a lot of toys, but I feel like the top of her cage is cluttered because they are all hanging from the top. Is there anything that I can put in there to hang them from like the middle and the bottom so that there are more places to put things?

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I had one manzinita perch and the boys would slide right off it
it was too slippery for them to grasp on so I took it out of the cage
I guess I would have to sand it down if they wanted to use it.

I hang some things outside my cage, I have a rope perch that twists
around the outside and I hang a few things off that.
Maybe that would help--
Keeping things towards the top is a good idea to avoid them being soiled.
I have a perch or two near their food/water dishes for easier access

·
Registered
466 Posts
Hey your cage looks great! Just a start though as you fill find it becomes quite addictive and before you know it your cage looks like Sally's LOL....
A Few suggestions, I also agree the stock perches are crap if that is all that you have... they need different shapes for their little feet...
Mavric LOVES his rope perches.. so those are a must.. I agree those fancy wood perches were very slippery and he could not grasp onto them... I tried sanding it too but just didn't work so I gave it to the Budgies.. (who are fully flighted)
You can try hanging some toys from the wall to give you more places to put them.. just make sure there is no perches directly above so they can't poop on em..
Mavric LOVES his bathtub, he takes a bath almost every day.. so that is a good thing to offer and it can double as her water dish as well!
So far the only toys Mavric enjoys playing with are ones with lots of paper to shred.. so that is another thing to try!
She will get used to her new toys, it will just take some time... I always try to leave at least 1 old toy in the cage when I change them.. so it is not toally all new and freak them out..
There has only been one toy that Mavric was FREAKED and hid in the corner of his cage.. so as long as it does not seem to be scaring her.. just give her some time to start to play with them or sit on the swing!
Also your little girl is Beautiful!!
good luck and have fun!!!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
That is great! Glad you got some new things. Chipper likes her Manzanita perches, but LOVES her rope perches best. I keep dowel perches on the bottom also. She has grooming perches and also a big natural wood perch. I keep a variety in her cage, also her swings and toys are other sizes of perches for her feet to be on. They can choose where to sit at diff. times. Good for the feet and muscles. Just like trees, they need different sizes.

Sometimes it takes a while to want to be on new toys. Chipper had her Shaggy Swing for a while before she loved it. Toys have to sort of grow on them. I let the toys be there a while, then maybe change to another spot and make sure it is a good place and a way to get on that is fun and easy.

If I buy a new toy (I LOVE to do that) I add one at a time. There are some toys I do not change around, her all time faves. Orbit stays, SWINGS stay in place, including coconut and tiki hut swings. Shaggy swing too. AND her bead "forest." I can change other toys. I know her favorite things and I leave them.

I put toys and perches all the way to the bottom. I want to use all of the space. Lots of people just have toys on top, I just love to watch her crawl all over the place, playing, ringing bells... I have "play areas" at the middle and bottom! I also have a ladder across the bottom two dowels (only dowels I have) and that is so nice! She sits on that ladder and eats millet, bell pepper seeds etc that I put there. It is like a table sort of. Also there, is the nat. wood perch and bell toy and also another toy. She can get up from the ladder onto the wood perch and play with the bells, all near the bottom.

She is ALLLLLL OVER that cage. Here are some pics. It is hard to see the things I have toward the bottom. If anything gets dirty, I just wash it, same for the top toys.

I am showing the cage in the pic. In that pic, the ladder is going to the bottom, but now, it is horizontal with the bottom perches.

Right now, I have workers installing granite in the kitchen. She is here in my bedroom with me. Her cage door is open, but she is in her cage, sitting on her BIG swing she loves.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts