Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
It's been a while since I've posted here. Tiki has been doing very well, but there have been fires about an hour away from us and it's very smoky outside. We have air filters running inside, but I am still worried for Tik. Does anyone know how dangerous fire smoke is for plets? If there is anything else I can do? :(

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi there! Does your AC have a recirc option? With wildfires you want to avoid getting any smoke inside, so unfortunately you have to avoid “fresh” air. I’d seal up doors and windows as much as possible, use a good AC filter as well as a bird room air filter for additional air cleanup. If your AC is located in the garage you’ll have to seal up the garage pretty good too. I have asthma and I can tell you even with neighbors just burning leaves it can affect me very badly, so I imagine birds feel even worse. I’m actually glad for my sensitivity as it helps me stay in tune with my birds when it comes to smoke. 🙂

I keep an air filter running on low all the time for my birds. I got it off from Amazon. It’s one of those that come with a UVC light, which can be very dangerous if it’s less than ~250nm, as it can produce ozone, which is very deadly for birds. I can’t find any documentation on which wavelength they use, so I’ve just completely disconnected it to be safe.

If you need additional air filters you could also DIY a makeshift air filter with a box fan and a high merv and decent thickness filter attached to the back. Not sure if Amazon is delivering in your area with wild fires, so that might be a good option 🙂

I would say stay prepared to evacuate if the fire gets worse. That’s always the safest option for you and your birds. Are you close to a currently evacuated area? Also, when leaving I’d use the AC recirculation option in the car if you have one.

Stay safe!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your suggestions!! I usually have a Molekule running in her room but it doesn't seem to work as well as HEPA so i have that on right now. We have all the windows closed and I'm offering her lots of water, I think she will be ok. We aren't in danger of the fire thankfully, it's more than an hour away

·
Registered
885 Posts
The 2020 fire season here in California has been record-breaking, in not only the total amount of acres burned at just over 3 million, but also 6 of the top 20 largest wildfires in California history have occurred this year.

I live near the ocean and the onshore wind has been blowing the smoke inland away from me, so the air quality has been considered good where I am at. Even so, I noticed that some clouds were brownish looking a couple of days ago and yesterday and today, everything has had a faint peachy tint to it. I have been keeping the windows and doors shut to make sure my little birdie is okay.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 2020 fire season here in California has been record-breaking, in not only the total amount of acres burned at just over 3 million, but also 6 of the top 20 largest wildfires in California history have occurred this year.

I live near the ocean and the onshore wind has been blowing the smoke inland away from me, so the air quality has been considered good where I am at. Even so, I noticed that some clouds were brownish looking a couple of days ago and yesterday and today, everything has had a faint peachy tint to it. I have been keeping the windows and doors shut to make sure my little birdie is okay.
I also live close to the ocean, so I guess that would be my go-to escape, I hope it won’t come to that. For now, I have the filters on and I brought some plants into the room. Thank you all for your suggestions!

·
Registered
885 Posts
I also live close to the ocean, so I guess that would be my go-to escape, I hope it won’t come to that. For now, I have the filters on and I brought some plants into the room. Thank you all for your suggestions!
Oh, I certainly hope it never comes to that too! But,that is a good plan if you have to! It might be a lot better than trying to drive through it if it really got bad. Overcome by smoke and flames, look at how many people they have found dead in burnt out cars. It is so terrible. Keep safe and I hope you, your family and little bird get through this okay!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
We're in Washington and last week was wild here----we were surrounded in a big C-shape of fires that were no more than 6 miles away from us. Our little town is situated between two rivers which I think helped it remain unburned (knock on wood) but the firestorm that happened in our old town, just up the hill was insane. The state has only JUST reopened the main road that runs in/out of town. The skies have been smokey to the point of not being able to see anything that is 1/2 mile away or further. It smells awful. Our A/C has been on continuously to keep us cool AND keep the air clean inside the house. Daisy could care less about the coolness---she just fluffs up and continues to talk to me whenever I am in her room!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts