Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to the parrotlet world and my pacific parrotlet is named Molly. I have a couple questions about her habits that I'm not sure about. She seems to be preening a lot and I was wondering how much a normal amount of preening is. Also she sleeps at the top of her cage usually on both feet, which I have read is abnormal for most birds. She seems healthy otherwise but typically not as active as some. But, I also get the feeling that female pacifics are kind of shy and timid anyway. She loves to come out of the cage however and doze off and on all day on my shoulder. I've had her for about a month and at least 2 weeks at this apartment. They had just clipped her wings before i bought her and mentioned that she became a lot less bold. I feed her well, roudybush minis for all but near the late afternoon when she gets a seed mix of about a teaspoon per day. I also try to give her a solid 12-13 hours of darkness uncovered in my room every night. She stays undisturbed for the most part. Anyone's input would be helpful.

·
Registered
794 Posts
This is my opinion but I believe your gonna hear this again, You need to cover the cage, it's not only the darkness but the security of the covered cage. Mentally they need a little area to feel like they don't have to watch their back so they can truly rest. Even during the day I will hand a little baby blanket over just the corner where her mirror friend is and she will go there because it's cozy. I had a Noble Macaw that slept on top but under a blanket. If they feel insecure it could lead to fleather plucking not that it's the only reason they do that some just do but it can, I would give her a cover at night and if the cage is very large hang something she can snuggle with. There are others here who have huge cages and they can better tell you what they do. It's important for their mental health . Hope this helps, oh yeah you don't want to let them sleep colder than 65 degrees and the cover is important expecially in the winter.

·
Registered
536 Posts
My little guy sleeps on his swing every night until he hears a little noise in the house and then he climbs down from the swing and up onto a perch that's even higher in his cage. Most birds will sleep at the highest point in their cage. They are prey animals and that is safest for them.... the higher the better. I use a navy blue sheet to cover him and when I do, he goes right to his swing.
Paulie eats lots of fresh foods in addition to his seeds

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Definately cover the cage. We use airline blankets (the kind that you get when you fly) to cover their cages. We leave one on a corner of the cage all the time as a security nook.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Chipper sleeps in her coconut swing. I cover her also. She sleeps at least 12 hours.

I bake several kinds of birdie breads, scrambled egg, Beak Appetit, I make a mash with Veggies and Sweet potatoes, avi cakes, other good for birdy treats, etc... She gets many foods.

She has a BUFFET twice a day. I fill at least four-six little food cups with diff. foods. She eats what she is in the mood for. It has paid off in a very healthy, pretty birdie!

I think the full spectrum light is good also. I only use it a couple of hours a day.

Here are some recipes in the site below. I have made the Tails up birdie bread and the Oatmeal balls. Chipper loves them. I need to try more. You can change the ingredients a bit also. I do not add the vitamins. Have you added fresh food? They can eat so many yummy foods. Chipper loves oatmeal also. http://www.parrothouse.com/recipes.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts