Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum but ever since I got my little Butters, I've been reading various forums here. I decided to finally make an account!
Anyway, my question. My baby girl Butters will be a year old since her hatch date in May. I'm new to the world of birds, but I have done lots, and LOTS of research before I even decided to get a parrotlet.
Butters is great, and probably my soul mate, but I have one concern. About last month I noticed when she opens her beak, and I get really, really close, I can get a small whiff of either fresh garlic or skunk...? It's not pungent! It really just smells like how your hands smell after you cut a fresh garlic clove. It's not unpleasant either.
She is very healthy and has no other noticeable issues that I can see. She loves her fruit and veggies (every month I make homemade chop), she is fed Goldenfeast Australian blend (I have decided to switch to MySafeBirdStore's blends), and I give her Zupreem pellets, crushed into almost a powder and sprinkled on her chop.
Should I be worried about this... scent? I mean, I'm always worried because birds are so tiny. But is this something I need to call my vet ASAP for?

·
Super Moderator
4,472 Posts
Check what she is eating. My guys tend to smell like what they eat. Some of that holds on more than others.

Glad you decide to join. Welcome to the hurly burly world of parrotlets.

Reactions: ButteryBiscuit

·
Super Moderator
6,553 Posts
Hi welcome! So if I get this correctly you're seeing your bird has bad breath? 😂 I am not laughing at you or your concern, but this is a little bit funny I hope you're not offended at my thinking that. I am definitely happy you are aware of these type of things it is really important to notice everything small about our birds. I have never heard anything about bird breath But then again I'm always learning new things. I do tend to agree with Ozzie, My birds tend to have a bit of a scent of what they are eating. One of mine in particular always has seed breath. I don't think it is something I would be concerned about going to the vet for but definitely follow your gut if anything seems off, and occasional that visit even once a year just for a wellness check is never a bad thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check what she is eating. My guys tend to smell like what they eat. Some of that holds on more than others.

Glad you decide to join. Welcome to the hurly burly world of parrotlets.
There's a good possibility she's taken something with a smidgen of garlic powder in it. We're still learning that "not all food is for birds". Since I noticed the smell, I can say for sure she's stolen a piece of roasted potato from my plate when I had my head turned.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think it is something I would be concerned about going to the vet for but definitely follow your gut if anything seems off, and occasional that visit even once a year just for a wellness check is never a bad thing.
Yep, her last vet visit was in October! I know some people don't find it necessary but I plan on her having an annual vet checkup every year. She's still the same happy bird, so unless I see some odd behavior in her, I'm okay with the birdie breath. I'll give her something nice and aromatic as a treat, she loves raspberries.

·
Super Moderator
6,553 Posts
Bad breath in pet birds can potentially be a sign of an infection, just like with droppings that smell bad.
that is good to know! I was wondering if it could indicate something like that but was not sure. So perhaps just in case a vet visit would be good. Although I'm wondering if there was an infection do you think there would be other symptoms as well?

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
that is good to know! I was wondering if it could indicate something like that but was not sure. So perhaps just in case a vet visit would be good. Although I'm wondering if there was an infection do you think there would be other symptoms as well?
I think it would depend on what type of infection it was. It is possible that it is the only sign of an infection.

·
Super Moderator
4,472 Posts
Jules usually picked up the garlic smell when she would steal spaghetti from our plate. It would usually have a bit of sauce on it, and the smell would stick for days no matter what.

Reactions: ButteryBiscuit

·
Registered
776 Posts
You said your bird is eating veggies and fruit - Grrreat! But if they are still not getting enough Vitamin A (and most birds aren’t) it can cause an infection that can cause birds to have bad breath.

I wonder if giving birds fresh mint would get rid of bad bird breath. It works for us humans. Why not birds? Even if it doesn't work, I've heard some birds love it. Just be sure to give it in moderation.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Welcome! The crop has a lot going on in there and I know from experience that p'letts and budgies can have bad breath. I gave Bogie the top part of a celery stalk. There were a lot of leaves on it. That was the last time I gave him celery! His breath smelled like celery for almost two weeks! I can't stand the smell of celery, so every time I got close to his face, I got a whiff of the celery that was breaking down in his crop. I sure miss those times! I would give anything to have Bogie back! Love your bird!

David and Vicki🦜🦜

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think it would depend on what type of infection it was. It is possible that it is the only sign of an infection.
I can see if I can get an appointment anytime soon. Just my luck that my vet is the closest avian vet, an hour away. I will call and ask what her vet thinks, her annual checkup was only a bit over $100, so a test or two shouldn't be so bad.

·
Super Moderator
4,920 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum!
I can't say that I've ever smelled garlic on Tumi's breath, but he also hasn't managed to steal any garlic from me. I would definitely call and ask the vet what she thinks. She should be able to tell you whether she wants to check it out right away, or if she simply wants to have you watch for any other symptoms.
A helpful tool of health is a gram scale. If you weigh Butters every morning, you can have an objective measure of health and catch right away if she is losing weight. A good food scale works, one that you can zero out once you have a dish of food on it. This would give you a second piece of information in addition to the bird breath.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum but ever since I got my little Butters, I've been reading various forums here. I decided to finally make an account!
Anyway, my question. My baby girl Butters will be a year old since her hatch date in May. I'm new to the world of birds, but I have done lots, and LOTS of research before I even decided to get a parrotlet.
Butters is great, and probably my soul mate, but I have one concern. About last month I noticed when she opens her beak, and I get really, really close, I can get a small whiff of either fresh garlic or skunk...? It's not pungent! It really just smells like how your hands smell after you cut a fresh garlic clove. It's not unpleasant either.
She is very healthy and has no other noticeable issues that I can see. She loves her fruit and veggies (every month I make homemade chop), she is fed Goldenfeast Australian blend (I have decided to switch to MySafeBirdStore's blends), and I give her Zupreem pellets, crushed into almost a powder and sprinkled on her chop.
Should I be worried about this... scent? I mean, I'm always worried because birds are so tiny. But is this something I need to call my vet ASAP for?
I had a female parrotlet that smelled like a skunk at certain times. It was truly fascinating and unexpected. I read somewhere that it is due to hormones and nothing to do with the health of the bird. She lived a a great and happy life and her skunk scent fluctuated so I do believe that hormones probably did play a part. My male parrotlets rarely give off that scent, so maybe it's just the female parrotlets?

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
I had a female parrotlet that smelled like a skunk at certain times. It was truly fascinating and unexpected. I read somewhere that it is due to hormones and nothing to do with the health of the bird. She lived a a great and happy life and her skunk scent fluctuated so I do believe that hormones probably did play a part. My male parrotlets rarely give off that scent, so maybe it's just the female parrotlets?
While some female birds can have a musty smell when they are hormonal, it does not affect the smell of their breath.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Monty smells like marijuana all the time, off and on. Sort of a skunky smell. It may be because he eats hemp seeds, but we always joke that he is part weed. "Monty, you smell like a weed today!"

·
Registered
15 Posts
Monty smells like marijuana all the time, off and on. Sort of a skunky smell. It may be because he eats hemp seeds, but we always joke that he is part weed. "Monty, you smell like a weed today!"
Oh so he's a boy! Yeah, maybe it's a parrotlet characterstic then? I thought one day someone is going to try and smoke my bird. Thankfully that never happened. I have a male parrotlet that is going to be 8 years old in July and on occasion I get a whiff of weed off of him, but nothing like the female parrotlet I had. There should be a study on this, if there isn't already.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts