Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I buy the small and medium rope perches - the same for manzanita and dowel perches - so they have a variety of sizes when perching.

I stick to the small Parrot toys - but not ones for Parakeets as the Parrotlets have stronger beak pressure and can break, splinter and get their beaks caught in the clips they use on the Parakeet toys. - I have a few Parakeet toys but I only buy the ones I can test in person and can tell are stronger and have no small parts or clips on them.

BTW - most LOVE the Bird Kabobs and shred them to pieces :D - these http://www.naturechest.com/birdkabobs.html
[ I've never ordered from this website, I just pulled it up because of the picture] :)

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Depends on the bird. Chipper loves med. toys, but loves small too. She love bells, wood toys and ROPE. She loves her swings too. She loves all of her rope perches best, but she has grooming perches, and other kinds too. They need to be able to choose where they feel like sitting and sleeping. I have dowels towards the bottom also.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you I will buy an assortment for her! Sally where did you get your Orbit I really like that one as it has toy's on it and a perch?
I finally saw Bebe playing with the bells and rope toy she has this morning so everyday she is more comfortable with things here.

Brenda

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just ordered that orbit toy from Dr's Foster and Smith along with a bunch of other stuff. It was the cheapest I could find it, and I paid $15.99.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
yes, the orbit or atom toy is from Dr. Foster's and Smith. I love the shaggy swing too! She looks so cute in both. She loves her toys!!!

·
Registered
835 Posts
In my bird room I often find my parrotlets choose VERY TINY branches to perch on that they can wrap their little toes all the way around. Now they have lots of options for diameter and texture - but they almost always choose these very skinny branches.

My parrotlets like toys they can manipulate & throw, destroy and huge toys too!!

Check this out:

They love big hanging toys - as if they were hanging jungle gyms!

Kindly,

Andrea F. Fahy
www.BonsaiBirds.com

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Andrea,

How old are your parrotlets? Have you had any problems having multiple birds together?

Great image by the way, I love all of the different color variations!

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Let's see - I have one pair that is at least 8 or 9, possibly older (background very much unknown) then we have some that are five, four, three, two and less than one!!

The only time I had problems housing multiple birds together was when we had cages in our bird room. Scenario - one bird stuck in a cage, the other on the outside and someone get's hurt on the cage bars. I can't stand cage bars!! When we had the cage and separate play area set up we experienced some type of aggression daily b/t different birds. But when their living quarters are not bound by cages they do wonderfully. Our bird room measures 20' x 12' with maybe 9' ceilings. We have numerous branch "trees" hiding places, many feeding and watering stations. They have impressed me with this set up doing really well. I can't wait to have the same set up for our shop.

But yes, parrotlets can be very nasty to each other when there are cages to protect - they are terrible for nipping toes! The more space you allow them, whether caged or not, the better behaved they are. And they SO need to feel like they are in control. I am constantly trying to think a step ahead of them to figure out what I want from them but how I can get them to think it was their idea :)

·
Registered
794 Posts
I'm so glad your here, it's a chance for us to have someone tell us about their behavior in a group. Most of us are learning as we go along and all the information that we can get combined with what we already know can only be a good thing. This is a great group of people, no.. no know it alls just a lot of people who are interested in what is good for our p'lets. Are you up for a lot of questions? LOL

·
Registered
835 Posts
Absolutely - I am always up for questions!!! I love having the opportunity to learn and to help others learn when it comes to avian keeping. And if I don't have the answer on the top of my head then even better for me b/c then I have a new topic to research. I have some excellent resources, here in the states and internationally (parrot keeping is much different in other countries) and have professional affiliations with many of the big names in parrots. All good sources!!

·
Registered
794 Posts
OK I have one of the most persnickitty little p'let's there ever was..she was a rescue from a horrible situation and I had never even heard of a parrotlet when I saved her, so now almost 8 years later I am still figuring her out, she is my greatest friend and a tough case. She is sittng on my hand as I type...

·
Registered
794 Posts
Yeah well Miss Bitsey Jo or rather her Royal Highness Jo won't eat anything that is remotely good for her, I could cry but it's almost funny now. I've tried to hide it blend it soak it...no way. She and I are pair....me being the weaker member of the duo. Not a word Art!!!!

·
Registered
835 Posts
I've been working with a two year old poicephalus and a six year old conure the last few weeks with eating their fresh foods. Since they are clicker trained, whenever I find them near or touching their fresh foods I click and give them a tiny treat. They progress to actually eating the food, I click and give tiny treat. They learn that this is a wanted behavior that may bring them a treat, but more importantly, the behavior is now a part of their routine!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts