Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm worried sick. My lil one seems to have taken ill yesterday and I'm not sure of the cause. I'm taking him to his breeder & the vet this afternoon, but I just wanted to share and see if I could garner any bits of wisdom from all of you on the forum.
The "off" behavior started Saturday morning. We took him out to vaccum the house because he hates the sound...not sure but he might have caught a draft since it is turning seasons here in Vancouver and getting a bit chilly. His breeder said that they are such little things, and therefore susceptible to temperature changes. We noticed that he was looking lethargic, sleeping all plumped up (which he usually does anyways..but not in the middle of the day) on Saturday afternoon. His stool is very watery, sometimes consisting of pure water, and he sleeps perched up high and plumped. We provided him with a hot water bottle wrapped well with a towel for heat put his little sleeping hammock on it so it would be comfortably warm. He's been eating on and off. Saturday he stopped...wouldn't even eat millet, but Sunday had a millet binge. Right now he's eating okay but is still sluggish. Is there anything else we can do to make him comfortable?

Thank you!
a worried Pip's mommy

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I would get him to a certified Avian VET as soon as possible today and skip bringing him to the breeder.

Keep him warm until then - an ill bird uses a lot of its energy trying to keep itself warm. By the time they show symptoms of being ill they are usually very ill indeed.

I wouldn't bother with any home remedies. Just keep him warm and get him to the VET. When transporting him to the Vet cover his cage to ease any stress on him.

Good Luck - let us know how it does.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I am so sorry. I do hope the vet can help and he gets better very soon! Keep him from drafts for sure. Please let us know what the vet says.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I absolutely agree with the others...skip the breeder and get right to the vet. Also, since the temperature is chilly..you may want to use a heating pad...get it nice and warm and place it under a towel to keep the warmth enroute. When I have had to take an ill bird in, the heating pad will keep its warmth until we get to the vet and then I plug it in there for the ride home. I wish you all the best and please keep us posted on your little one. We hope for the best...just keep the warmth going and keep him calm. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
sock filled with rice can be put in the microwave for a nice travel warming bag. You can also use a hot water bottle.

Good luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Catfish..I keep forgetting about rice in a sock...used to use those for my migraines...plenty of warmth for the flock!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Mustang. You used heat for your migraines? I tried that once and my head exploded! I have to use COLD wash cloths etc. I also suck on ice chips. I can't take meds for them. RATS. The ice in your mouth helps me not to have to throw up.

Everyone is different I know. Just wondered about the heat.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Sally..I actually use heat and ice. It hard to describe but it depends on the migraine on which route I go..I've been know to lay on the bathroom tile or against the tub. Other times, it's heat. Lately, it's more cold than hot. I hate these things as you can relate! Ice chips are excellent since I can go 24 hours not wanting to touch a thing...let alone lift my head or open my eyes.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
An update...Pip went to the avian vet with me. I made use of all your excellent ideas about heat and took him wrapped in a towel with a hot water bottle. He decided though, that I would be much more satisfactory as a heat source and snuggled up under my shirt en route.
The avian vet told us that there was blood in his stool and that it was likely that he was bleeding into his GI tract. I don't know how this happened and its a big surprise to me. She said that the prognosis was guarded, but we got him medicated with an agent that coats the stomach to stop bleeding and some antibiotics. I cried because I felt so helpless not knowing if he would be alright and not knowing how I could have prevented this from happening. I'm so scared that he don't make it, because the vet said that he was in bad shape and gaunt (he's lost alot of weight...only 25 g right now..I can feel his breastbone ridge..my poor baby).
I think I've calmed down though, and I accept that whatever happens will happen and have concentrated on giving him the best care possible. He's right now in an incubator box with his millet and heat pad resting, looking comfortable and un-fluffy. He even took a bath in his water dish...cross my fingers he's getting a bit better.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I have been watching this thread for an update on Pip and pray that all goes well. I'm glad to hear that he's not fluffed up and was comfortable enough to take a bath! Keep your little one warm and comfortable and please keep us posted on his progress.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Thanks for updating us. I was getting worried as we had not heard from you in a while. It sounds like you got to the vet just before the end.

Good luck, I hope he pulls through,

Art S.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
We will keep Pip in our collective thoughts that he pulls through. I'm glad you got him to the Vet and he is now comfortable. Please keep us posted on his progress.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
=(
He hasn't gotten any better, but thank god no worse. Last night though we got a huge scare when we were giving him his meds. My bf was holding him when suddenly he got really limp. He couldn't stand up and was stumbling over himself, resting his poor little head on the ground and panting. I was scared senseless that he was having a heart attack from the stress..but he recovered himself. They are so small and delicate, though sometimes you forget when they're so headstrong.
He was eating again today thank god, though still very weak. I really hope he can pull through.
I really want him to not stress so much over the medicine, so now I hold him in a black towel gently and get him to bite my finger, then sneak the syringe in quickly while his beak is open. Is there any way I can make things easier for him?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I can't think of anything better than what you are doing for him. Sadly, giving medication orally will always be stressful for birds. As long as he doesn't panic when he sees the towel, that is probably going to be the least stressful way.

Does he have a favorite treat? Maybe try and give him that after the medication so the medication won't be as "bad" in his mind.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I'm glad he's hanging in there.

I was wondering, did the vet have any idea what was causing the bleeding? Can you post some of the test results?

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Tell Pip to keep fighting and please let us know how he is when you can. It sounds like you're doing a wonderful job caring for him.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts