Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been seeing that people are saying that parrotlets love to shred paper, etc.

Is it safe to put a piece of regular printer/copy paper in their cage to let them chew on it?

What if they swallow paper??

If paper isn't safe, then what is???

Is it really that important to give them something to shred????

Sorry for the bombardment of questions. LOL
:D:D

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I would be concerned about the parrotlet ingested paper. if there is a chewer, I would suggest seagrass or a toy with the leather roping. i read somewhere about a parrotlet that chewed on paper towel and the owner wrote that the bird died...was it from paper towel ingestion..that is what the owner stated but i was be wary.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I guess just watch how he/she plays with paper... Kismet loves paper towels, but he just balls up little pieces and spits them right out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Boji's a shredder and chewer. He loves to shread and chew on papery things, and clothes. I give him only plain clean white printer paper (no colored papers, and no inks/toners on it) and clean paper towels to chew on. He never ate any so far. He just likes to tear them apart and make a mess. He'll also use the papers to clean his mouth after he finishes eating. I always think that it looks like chewing gums since he bites a piece of paper/paper towel off, then chews it in his mouth, and spits it back out when his mouth is cleaned. I also bought him one of those spike pinata shredder toys from Petsmart for him to play with. It's made with palm leaves and other natural tropical plant materials.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was just wondering, what does everyone put down on the bottom of the cage?

I use pet bedding but I was thinking of using newspaper.

................John

·
Registered
466 Posts
The only toys I have gotten Mavric to play with are shredding toys..
I bought one of those big ball things that his the little colored paper knots.. well he chews off a piece.. and chews it around his mouth it is quite cute and then spits it out.. I see a whole bunch of little ball things at the bottom. Then I bought him one of those Sea Grass things and he loves to chew that off now.. I give one of those things to my budgies and it is gone in a couple days.. so they get it after Mavirc CAREFULLY pecks at it for a month or so LOL
Oh and I use newspaper at the bottom.. but he never goes down to the bottom of the cage.. I arrange perches to discourage this..

·
Registered
111 Posts
Diablo loves to chew on paper... I give her palm shredder toys to try to discourage her from chewing newsprint but if she gets free and finds my VISA bills or tax documents, she reduces them to confetti rather efficiently.
I think it probably isn't a good idea in the long run, like many things in life... so you provide an alternative that's better (like dried palm leaves, sea grass and bamboo stuff) and just accept the fact that sometimes your little darling is going to indulge in a bit of paper chewing.

haha, I got a new cage for Diablo and the tray is much deeper so she can't grab the newsprint through the bars on the floor anymore. She now sticks her beak through the bars on the bottom and growls and menaces the paper and rattles her beak along the floor with frustration. I have threaded palm shredders everywhere but she has decided that paper is her sworn enemy....

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I was just wondering, what does everyone put down on the bottom of the cage?

I use pet bedding but I was thinking of using newspaper.

................John
I use paper towels - I keep the grate on the cage bottom also to keep them away from their poop and their old vegetable droppings etc from the morning meal.

I don't use a bottom grate in their sleeping cage and if they are up early they like to shred the Paper Towels - (at least Rupert does - he's the only one I've caught red-handed :) )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts