Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was diagnosed with flu type A this morning, ive heard that humans can transfer illness to their birds, should i stay away from timmy? im just now on tamiflu today

·
Registered
462 Posts
Some have told me not to. Everyone here has told me it's ok to interact with the bird.. You could try a mild interaction where you don't let them near your mouth and make sure you wash your hands??

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Sorry to hear that you have the flu! If you wash your hands and keep your bird away from your face as suggested it ought to be just fine, assuming you're feeling up to it. When I'm under the weather I try to touch in with my birds, though not to the extent as when I'm feeling well. I hope you get well very soon!

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
The flu is a virus. Viruses are designed to infect specific species. It’s rare and very difficult for a virus to switch species. So nothing to be worried about. However, some bacteria that we naturally have - whether we’re sick or not - is bad for them. So don’t cough/sneeze on your bird and wash your hands. He’ll be fine :) I hope you feel better quick!

·
Registered
197 Posts
What Is Type A Flu Virus?

Type A flu or influenza A viruses are capable of infecting animals, although it is more common for people to suffer the ailments associated with this type of flu. Wild birds commonly act as the hosts for this flu virus.

Type A flu virus is constantly changing and is generally responsible for the large flu epidemics. The influenza A2 virus (and other variants of influenza) is spread by people who are already infected. The most common flu hot spots are those surfaces that an infected person has touched and rooms where he has been recently, especially areas where he has been sneezing.

Takecare and get well soon ❤

·
Registered
197 Posts
What Is the Bird Flu?

The avian influenza virus causes bird flu. Birds can be infected by influenza A viruses and all of its subtypes. Birds are not capable of carrying either type B or C influenza viruses.

There are three main subtypes of avian flu, including H5, H7, and H9. The subtypes H5 and H7 are the most deadly, while the H9 subtype is less dangerous.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts

Type A flu or influenza A viruses are capable of infecting animals, although it is more common for people to suffer the ailments associated with this type of flu. Wild birds commonly act as the hosts for this flu virus.

Type A flu virus is constantly changing and is generally responsible for the large flu epidemics.
There are many different types of influenza A viruses. The ones that infect us are different from the ones that infect them. So yes, influenza A is capable of infecting animals, but their subsets are different from ours. They’re not the same virus. The viruses do constantly change to adapt, but they change WITHIN the species. Very rarely do they switch.

What Is the Bird Flu?

The avian influenza virus causes bird flu. Birds can be infected by influenza A viruses and all of its subtypes. Birds are not capable of carrying either type B or C influenza viruses.

There are three main subtypes of avian flu, including H5, H7, and H9. The subtypes H5 and H7 are the most deadly, while the H9 subtype is less dangerous.
The avian flu is in reference to the origin of the virus in that it comes from birds and infects birds. So the bird would need to be exposed to a wild bird that has the avian influenza virus in order to get infected. The subtypes mentioned are the rare instances where the virus switched from wild birds to humans. Once the virus switches species, it can’t just go right back to the old species because it’s changed it’s mechanisms to survive in the new host.

Source: I’m a microbiologist. Bacteria and viruses are my jam :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thank you.
I am going to hug my baby because I had the flu too :))
I visit this Forum about ten years before, love it.
Just return and still love it.

Tina

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Type A flu virus is constantly changing and is generally responsible for the large flu epidemics. The influenza A2 virus (and other variants of influenza) is spread by people who are already infected. The most common flu hot spots are those surfaces that an infected person has touched and rooms where he has been recently, especially areas where he has been sneezing.

Takecare and get well soon ❤

Tina, I am trying to get in contact with you about timmy. please call me. 832-334-7157

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.