Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I have been looking up breeders and came to this one in MO... I live in IL.

How do you feel about shipping? She has yellow parrotlets right now... and they are $175.

I am thinking of getting one somewhere when I get Kiwi his new cage come Christmas. :D

I can go one more Christmas getting my pets something rather than me.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I personally don't like shipping animals. People are careless, things get dropped... who knows if they are smoking around the pets.... are they going to shake boxes to hear them scream?

I've heard of bird cages getting dropped and the bird getting out and go missing. . . plus there are the theives.

Some people trust the air lines. I do not. They don't take care of the suit cases, are they really going to take that much better care of our pets?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She says that she would put them in a pet carrier with nest...

I am pretty worried about that to catfish, but I would want to get a parrotlet from a breeder... and there are no breeders around Southern IL. Not even near St. Louis. There're bird in IL but not many have parrotlets.

I am pretty stumped. My last option is to get one from a pet store.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Your joking right? Your not serious are you?

Just because someone says that they are a breeder doesn't mean they are a GOOD breeder. Do you really think shipping a baby bird in a pet carrier is a good idea? Do you really ?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Chipper came from Petco. I wouldn't trade her for anything. I would not want to ship an animal. Too many things can happen.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I wouldn't do it. I have never shipped birds. If for some reason it has to ever happen, I would be on the plane with the bird right with me.

Also, I wonder about the breeder for two reasons - one they are willing to ship which I don't think is kind to the bird and two - $175 is awfully low for a yellow parrotlet. I mean, that's nice and all but it just seems weird.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Memmey.... I dont like the attitude :mad: And... It is not a definit answer or one that I am willing to make.

Yah, guys.... I just wanted to hear your opinions on the subject about shipping AND the breeder. Don't worry. I will probaly go to St. Louis and go checking in there for a nice mate.

here is her website, she has no yellow chicks avaible anyway.
http://www.feathersofgrace.com/

Thanks for the opinions though ;) :)

·
Registered
835 Posts
Good point, if you were to go there you could be a better judge. I have met tooo many breeders that have awful practices, but to the average or new parrot person they know how to make themselves look "good" so I do tend to be pessimistic about breeders - esp. those handfeeding. Parent raising means more work on the breeders part in regards to having a good relationship with ALL of the breeder pairs, most US breeders are not willing to do that but would rather steal babies from parents that are kept rather inadequately and handfeed, but not socialize or train :(

·
Registered
835 Posts
I think it's nice if she can keep the price down, but if she is handfeeding and keeping all of those birds vet checked, using gram scales, quality food, etc, I just can't see how the price would be so low. All of our parrotlets were $300 when we were breeding - I never had any dilute blues though, so I don't know what they would have been, by the time that pair was old enough to breed we stopped setting everyone up b/c I couldn't do it anymore. If I do, I will allow parent raising.

·
Registered
536 Posts
We live 30 miles east of St Louis and looked a long time to find a p'let breeder in our area. We ended up with a breeder in Rockford IL. and we drove all the way there to pick Paulie up...I didn't want him shipped either. We were very satisfied with the breeder. They emailed pix and even asked what we wanted to name him and started calling him by name. We found out what they fed him and got all the info we needed. They weighed him for us and clipped his wings.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I know a breeder from TX that ships the budgies she breeds. She only uses 2 carriers, and has been shipping for many years. She's never had a problem yet, or an unhappy customer.

My concern with a p'let would be how they tend to go a bit backwards with their weening after going to a new home. The new owner cant take it back to the breeder for an additional week with them if needed.

I got one of my p'lets from a breeder for $175, my other was $300, it just depends on the breeder and their location.

·
Registered
351 Posts
But how would you feel as the baby parrotlet that has been falsetly imprinted on humans - it would be like dumping a baby or toddler human into a small transport of some sort and just saying "see ya!" I just don't think it is kind.

If this was towards my post... I never said I agreed with it. I'd never buy a bird that was shipped, i'm just posting what i know from the one breeder i know that does ship. The only time I would have a bird shipped is if I were adopting, and it were the only option. And then, i'd probably fly and pick it up myself first!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts