Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday Bibi just attacked my hubby :mad:
Our son and I where playing a board game at the dinner table and she was being a busybody with it (she thought it wonderfull :) ) when my love came home. She flew, loudly scolding, right at his shoulder and went for his ear! It may sound funny but I was very put out with her!
Do you think she found my hubby to intrude in our being together?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for responding so quickly, I will ask my love to spoil her just a little bit with sunflowerseeds => she loves those but get's them only as a treat.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Marjet, I bet that was disheartening to see – but don’t take it personally its Parrotlet/Parrot behavior – I don’t believe its Bibi saying, “Oh I don’t like him, I think I’ll attack him” Human and Parrot perception on these matters differ greatly.

It would be difficult for us humans to determine the exact reason for this behavior but I’m sure we’ve all experienced at one time or another our birds doing a similar behavior as Bibi.

My male will sometime peck at my female to move her if someone he doesn’t know very well comes close to her – it doesn’t mean he doesn’t love her (Wild parrots do this to move their mate away from other Parrots they see as a potential threat but also as a potential rival – their instinct dictates to move their mate away from either scenario). Parrots have been known to attack both their mate and/or the perceived threat. But usually the attack on the mate is to move them away (actually my use of the term attack is a bit harsh).

So Bibi’s behavior to your ‘Love’ could be something similar to this or even just to him entering a serene calm group gathering and upsetting it – whatever the reason take comfort in it wasn’t personal ;)

The advise of having your hubby interact more with Bibi is great advice as it will bring your hubby into Bibi’s ‘circle of trust’ so to speak :p or flock if you will.

Also follow the 12 hr sleep pattern and don’t over do it on protein etc I’ve sure you’ve seen this posted from time to time as this has great effect on behavior, Parrotlet behavior in paticular–

·
Registered
514 Posts
Actually, we had that happen with Bitsy and my husband (in the first month or so we had Bitsy). Hubby and I would sit together on the couch and I'd insist that Bitsy be on HIS shoulder. If Bitsy wouldn't come out of the cage for hubby, I'd take him out and give him to hubby. Hub fed special treats,etc. It worked. In fact, now Hub is Bitsy's favorite, I think. Good luck!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well yes, I do agree with you on these idea's, but my hubby is much less into p'lets then my son and me, and I can hardly force him to interact with Bibi. But at the moment we're doing fine again.
And she seems to be letting her dress grow back again but I might not be saying this aloud :rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts