Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Hoi
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya
I've figured out recently that Kiwi & Avocado have really, really, really bad separation anxiety (from each other).
Whenever there not in sight of each other, they start freaking out and flying around the room trying to find each other.
Kiwi has it worse, Avi only really freaks out when Kiwi starts to, Kiwi is like her role model.
I don't want them to get hurt.
How do I help it/can I help it?

·
Registered
461 Posts
I don't think I ever have- maybe for taming- but usually one will fly in a corner or someplace where the other can't see her.
Separation anxiety between bonded parrotlets is natural and normal, what likely is happening is one of your birds is flock calling to the other when they can't see them, and the other bird responds saying "hey I'm here!". Monty flock calls to me and my partner when he can hear us upstairs and we call down to him to tell him we're still around.
If your birds have landing spots and there are no major dangers in the room (e.g., fan's off, windows closed, nothing hot out), they should be OK to have a fly around to look for each other. Parrotlets are skilled fliers for sure.

That's my personal thought, but someone who has had multiple parrotlets may be able to weigh in better than I can.

·
Super Moderator
6,627 Posts
Very normal for a pair. My parrotlet pair would go nuts if they couldn't see each other, and my parakeets likewise will run around looking for each other. What I used to do with Tobie and Lily It's just spend time with the two of them. If they got separated somehow I would just kind of reunite them. Do they have a designated play place maybe like on the top of their cage or something where they can hang out? Mine usually would hang out together in the same place so they didn't typically get separated much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts