Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I need to run my self cleaning oven. I heard somewhere that this is dangerous to my Huey.

I was thinking about taking him out of the house while the oven is cleaning.

If I run the cleaner and ventilate do you think it would be ok to bring Huey back in?

I can open the windows and keep them open during the entire process. I can also put him in an upstairs bedroom.

Suggestions?
I wish I read this earlier... I self- leaned my oven this morning and my umbrella Cockoo Bebo died from the fumes... I thought it was just Teflon pans that you needed to worry about

·
Super Moderator
6,553 Posts
I have created your own thread on this topic. First off, welcome to our forum. I am so incredibly saddened to hear of the passing of Bebo the Cockatoo. My heart goes out to you as I know everyone else's heart is aching with you also. Few people will ever understand what it's like to be loved by a parrot, and the loss of these amazing companion is absolutely devastating.
Please know that this was an accident, there are so many things that are dangerous to our birds it is difficult to be aware of all of them. I still come across things often I did not know or think of. When we experience a loss it's natural to blame yourself regardless of what happened. Please don't be hard on yourself, they don't call them "on purposes" for a reason. My family lost 2 birds as a child in a similar accident. We were devastated.
We are all here for you to mourn Bebo. Thank you for sharing so that others will become aware. Please feel free to post pictures or stories of Bebo so he will be remembered here. Either on this thread or the Rainbow Bridge or anytime you like in Chit Chat. We may be a parrot"let" forum but we welcome you and Bebo as part of our bird loving family all the same. Many of us parrotlet owners have or have had other species as well. So sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
13 Posts
oh my goodness, this is so very sad :(. My heart goes out to you for the loss of your loving Bebo! Praying for comfort and peace for you and your family.

·
Super Moderator
4,469 Posts
Sorry to hear about BeBo. Most cooking product is safe at normal cook ranges. Unfortunately the cheaper ones can gas out a relatively low ranges when overheated and most self cleaning ovens are this way so there is a fairly high chance of accidents over a life of a parrotlet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts