Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of seed do you give your parrotlet? I'm curious because we were never quite sure what to feed Sam.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I feed Emmi gormet cockatiel seed, which has bits of carrot and other fruits and veggies mixed in. She also eats my leftover budgie seed and I always give her egg biskets. She munches on grapes and blueberries whenever I do, and she'll nibble on my cereal in the morning.

She's eaten toast and jam.. oh, and I always have millet for her. Lately I've been thinking of putting in a couple drops of milk into her water to give her some extra calcium. Mostly cause I haven't seen her gnawing on her cuttle bone.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feed Emmi gormet cockatiel seed, which has bits of carrot and other fruits and veggies mixed in. She also eats my leftover budgie seed and I always give her egg biskets. She munches on grapes and blueberries whenever I do, and she'll nibble on my cereal in the morning.

She's eaten toast and jam.. oh, and I always have millet for her. Lately I've been thinking of putting in a couple drops of milk into her water to give her some extra calcium. Mostly cause I haven't seen her gnawing on her cuttle bone.
Okay good, that's what we fed Sam too, the cockatiel seed! :D Sam loved millet too. Our budgies would eat millet one seed a time, while Sam would just bite off a big bite of about 5 seeds. It was so funny! :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
I feed my bird gormet cocketiel seed as well..and Millet of course. The store I got him from gave me a daily schedule of fruits and vegs that they served their birds..but he hasn't eaten any of the stuff I have given him. He seems to be eating his seed and millet at least.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I feed Natures Best Small Hookbill Mix, millet and of course daily veggies & a boiled egg 1-2 a week. They also get some cooked pasta whenever we have spaghetti. (a favorite treat!)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was doing some research on organic seed blends for cockatiels...and found a brand made for cockatiels and "small parrots"...lucky me, I work in an organic grocery store and they listed the ingredients in order from most to least! I put about 6 pounds of mix together for about $14...

Here's what I put into it:

Millet, oats, quinoa, buckwheat, amaranth, alfalfa leaf, a tiny bit of cinnamon, hulled sunflower seeds, hard red winter wheat, and brown flax seeds (not in the right order... I forgot :D )

Put that into a gallon glass jar and into the fridge...should last awhile. Hopefully Louie likes it...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I Just Ordered a parrotlet blend that is made by A company named Volkman. It is call "Valkmans Parrotlet Super" and I thing it is designed by Sandee Molenda (Parrotlet Expert For 20 years). This is the Ingredients

Volkman Parrotlet Super

Ingredients: safflower seed, white proso millet, oat groats, small cracked corn, buckwheat, Fruit Medley, canary grass seed, small black oil sunflower, sunflower chips, green peas, carrot dices, peanut dices, vitamized oat groats, (orange) fruit blend, peppers, hemp seed,
spinach flakes, orange oil and safflower oil.

It comes in two sizes 4 lbs & 20 lbs Bags and you can order it on www.birdsafe.com

But for now I feed a Budgie seed , millet , broccoli , carrots , egg biscuit , boiled eggs , apples , grapes and cereal.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hey Rob, you found Sandee Molenda. I want to order some of that seed too.Thanks for the address.She's interesting don't you think? Will you let us know what you think of the seed when you recieve it? Rob, Cosmo is a good looking guy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got the "Valkmans Parrotlet Super" on Monday and I gave it to him right away. Man I thought he ate a lot before. You should see him go for it now. It is like he can't get enough of it. I bet he eats twice as much now. In other words He loves it. I recommend it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I feed Blue the Volkman's Parrotlet seed as well. My local Pet Food Express special orders the 20lb bags for me whenever I need them. He loves it with the exception of the hemp seeds which he just does not like for some reason.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Seeds make nervous as a main source of diet. . . the seed is dead and filled with fat, in the wild it would be alive and full of nutrients. . .

I know that we recommend not feeding a seed based diet due to high fat content that can/will cause fatty liver disease and shorten their lives. . . I know with Budgies it cuts their lives in half... and generally it will cause a vitamin A deficency...

I've been lucky, most of my birds have made a quick transition to Zupreem diets, but lately I've been mixing Zupreem and Kaytee diet w/ about 5% seed as a treat. I know a friend that has had a lot of trouble with her amazon with the transition to pellet . . . but he ate seeds for 8 years.

·
Registered
351 Posts
There is a good article here about p'lets and pellets, and the mutations, its a good read.

I use 'tiel seed mix and they of course get their veggie/fruits/soak mix dish daily. I think you cant go wrong will a well balanced diet. :)

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Chipper gets Topper Seed with lots of Safflower seed. She loves it, but doesn't eat it all the time. She loves the other things I bake for her and make for her. She gets millet too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts