Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I want to give my birds a good quality seed mix as it is impossible to find quality pellets where I live. They love cannabis seeds. And they eat just it in seed mixes. I decided to try a new mix for them. Hemp seeds- chia seeds- quinoa seeds. I plan to give spray millet as an extra. What do you think of this mix? Are these seeds healthy? What should the rates be? I plan to serve these raw, is that correct? Chia is a seed that swells with water, is it harmful to the stomachs of birds?

·
Super Moderator
3,573 Posts
Hi there. I feed my bird raw chia and quinoa (she also enjoys cooked quinoa) and occasionally she gets some millet. I offered her hemp seeds but she wasn’t a huge fan. I don’t know much about their nutritional value but a couple of things to keep in mind: seeds generally are high in fat and millet is particularly so. Millet should be an occasional treat rather than part of the daily diet (which you seem to be suggesting). You may want to keep an eye on your birds’ weights as an indicator of over feeding fatty seeds.

Quinoa is also high in protein (chia too but to a lesser extent) and can be hard on the kidneys particularly with an aging bird or any bird with kidney function issues. Are you also giving your birds fresh veggies and fruit? Seeds will not give them the complete set of nutrients they need to thrive. Rice can be a good option as well, Kiwi loves brown rice and wild rice. Oh, and sesame seeds are one of Kiwi’s favourites, particularly if they are toasted.

Reactions: Anya

·
Administrator
5,235 Posts
I like NutriBerries for seed mix. More specifically the "El Paso Nutri-Berries", "Sunny Orchard Nutri-Berries". They have various sizes and I like how they push them into eating more variety of seed types. My guys always pick through seed mixes to get their favs and lose some of the variety and variety in a diet is a key.

Outside that I have had good results with hemp / cannabis seeds. Rio turns his beak up at preshelled (hemp hearts), he wants (requires) that they are whole and he can shell them himself. He is also pretty cool on chia seeds but I tend not to mix these as much as present them at different times of the week so I can push him toward a variety.

Reactions: ginziputzi and Anya

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Oher things you can add to your seed mixture are pumpkin seeds (when in season), red or white millet, oats, canary grass, buckwheat and flax seed. Just don’t overdo it with seeds that are high in fat. The good thing about making your own seed mixture is that you can cater to what your bird actually will eat, so there will be less waste.

This video gives a recipe for homemade bird seed mixture that may give you an idea on making your own. Here are the ingredients…

1/2 lb millet - 1/2 lb quinoa - 1 cup oat groats - 1 cup hemp seed - 1/2 cup whole brown flax seed - 1 cup chia seed - 1/2 cup rape seed - 1 cup rolled oats

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@ginziputzi @ozzie3860 @Anya

Thank you for your answers. I'm writing a single message so that I can't write 3 separate answers. First of all, it is very difficult to order feed from abroad to my country. There are problems at customs. In my country there are also a limited number of seed mixes for parrotlets. There is no pellet. My birds are big fans of cannabis seeds. They almost only want to eat cannabis seeds, and that worries me because uniform nutrition is not good. They are not very happy when I give other seeds or vegetables. On the contrary, they get angry and spill this food on the ground. Apart from that, I give them ready-made bird food containing fruits, vegetables, vitamins and minerals. they love it. I also give probiotics and B vitamins from time to time. But the fact that they only eat hemp worries me. Previously, I gave them feed containing seeds other than hemp, such as millet and oats, but they only ate hemp. When I put the cannabis-free feed, I observed that they did not eat the feed much and they weakened. I haven't tried quinoa and chia, but I want to try. Because I know they are healthy seeds. By the way, my birds are very healthy. They have energy. Their feathers are also shiny and lively. I think this is due to the protein content of hemp. What do you think I should do? Should I heed their request and just go with cannabis seeds, or should I try quinoa and chia seeds?

·
Super Moderator
3,573 Posts
You sound like you’re doing a fantastic job keeping your birds healthy despite the challenges you have accessing different types of feed. I find birds are like kids when it comes to eating, they only want what they want and we have to be creative to get them to eat. Especially veggies. For your veggies, try different ways of serving them. For example, my bird will only eat cooked carrot (mashed) and raw broccoli, and will only eat lettuce while sitting on my hand. Now that I think of it, I believe I got her to eat broccoli by slicing off the tops so that it looked like green seeds. She now eats it off the stalk but it took awhile. Some birds like a piece of corn on the cob so they can tackle the cob to eat the corn and my vet once recommended I try a skewer hanging from the top of the cage with chunks of veggies so she could sort of forage for her own (she was not interested). She loves pepper seeds too, particularly hot peppers like jalapeño. I just cut them out of the pepper and put them in a dish for her and she devours them. There are some good “chop” recipes on the forum you could try and I think every bird I have ever heard of loves to attack strawberries and fling red goop everywhere.

I would absolutely keep trying different foods and different ways of feeding them. Kiwi actually eats whatever we eat (as long as it is not junk…although she has the occasional small piece of a chip…). She has always been near the table when we eat as eating is a very social activity for them. She is a great eater and will try anything now (doesn’t always like it but at least tries). Maybe you can try eating along with them when trying something new. Don’t be frustrated or worried - they certainly sound healthy and well cared for. Just think of it as a challenge and how exciting the victory is when you can get them to try just one thing different!

·
Administrator
5,235 Posts
Sounds like you are doing well, even your worry indicates you are thinking in the correct way.
My first set of parrotlets were from a very bad situation, they were seed junkies and only very cheap seed when I got them. As my avian vet said at the time the key is to feed them the most health diet we can get them to eat. It took me a while but I was able to push them into a better diet. The key is variety. Yes it looks like cannabis seeds are going to part of your mix but still you need to push to expand their horizons. They are a bit like children in this way. So keep trying different type of seeds to make sure they get all they need. Also add fresh vegetables. Mile likes carrot peels, carrot tops, broccoli, corn. Also treats like a bit of noodle or bread are also ok. A bit of lean proteins are also good. Stuff like scrambled or boiled eggs. In the wild our guys are opportunist and would get the protein like this from eating other birds eggs or bugs or bits of dead creatures. In our homes they can get this from our normal foods.

Reactions: ginziputzi

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
@ginziputzi @ozzie3860

Thank you very much for your answers. I will keep trying different kinds of seeds. Also like you said I will give them vegetables and fruit more often. What do you think about dried fruits, dried vegetables and nuts? Can it be an alternative to fresh fruit and vegetables? Since they have a longer shelf life, they can also stay in the cage longer.

·
Administrator
5,235 Posts
@ginziputzi @ozzie3860
Cevaplarınız için çok teşekkür ederim. Farklı çeşit tohumları denemeye devam edeceğim. Ayrıca onlara sebze ve meyveyi daha sık vereceğim dediğiniz gibi. Kuru meyve, kuru sebze ve kuru yemiş hakkında ne düşünüyorsunuz. Taze meyve ve sebzeye alternatif olabilir mi? Raf ömürleri daha uzun olduğu için kafeste de daha uzun süre kalabilirler.

Translation
Thank you very much for your answers. I will keep trying different kinds of seeds. Also like you said I will give them vegetables and fruit more often. What do you think about dried fruits, dried vegetables and nuts? Can it be an alternative to fresh fruit and vegetables? Since they have a longer shelf life, they can also stay in the cage longer.
Dried veggies are great. We do it all the time. Dried fruit has to be a bit limited and will depend on type of fruit and drying method. Many dried fruits increase the amount of sugar in it which is not good but a limited about can work. But a bit of both included in a wider mix should be fine.

·
Super Moderator
3,573 Posts
Agree with Ozzie. Dried fruit and veg are fine but just keep an eye on the sugar. You are already thinking creatively, I am sure you will have success in getting some variety in there. Let us know how it goes! It is really helpful for other forum members to get ideas for their own birds so please share if you find a trick that works!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello, I want to give my birds a good quality seed mix as it is impossible to find quality pellets where I live. They love cannabis seeds. And they eat just it in seed mixes. I decided to try a new mix for them. Hemp seeds- chia seeds- quinoa seeds. I plan to give spray millet as an extra. What do you think of this mix? Are these seeds healthy? What should the rates be? I plan to serve these raw, is that correct? Chia is a seed that swells with water, is it harmful to the stomachs of birds?
Hello,

My 2 parrotlets and 22 years old🧿 cockatiel eat the mix seeds as on the pic. As my cocktail eats it all of his life, I believe this is healthy:)

The hemp (cannabis) seeds are very fatty so the cage birds need less than 4% of them in the mix.

Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Mixture

·
Super Moderator
3,573 Posts
Hello,

My 2 parrotlets and 22 years old🧿 cockatiel eat the mix seeds as on the pic. As my cocktail eats it all of his life, I believe this is healthy:)

The hemp (cannabis) seeds are very fatty so the cage birds need less than 4% of them in the mix.

View attachment 47638
Wow! Your cockatiel is 22 years old! That is super impressive! Clearly you take excellent care of your birds!

Reactions: ozzie3860

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think it will be fine if you feed it that mixture. You can also buy pellets for parrots on the websites to ensure their nutrition. You should also add fresh fruits, vegetables, seeds and nuts, or a mixture of striped sunflower seeds, safflower seeds, nuts, peanuts, and a little spice from dried chilies.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts