Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I am having a really hard time finding a good seed mix in Turkey. There is only one pellet brand and it is full of chemicals and dyes. So I decided to go on with a good seed mix along with fresh vegetables and greens. But I can't find any of the seed mixes mentioned in this forum. So I decided to go with Versele Laga-Budgies Prestige seed mix (yellow millet 30%, red millet 12%, peeled oats 10,5%, white millet 38%, canary seed 4%, linseed 3%, safflower 2%, niger seed 0,5%) with added hemp seed.

One additional question is that. Until this time (He is with me for about 1.5 months) his seed mix always in his cage and I give him different vegetables during the day for 2 or 3 time and I take the fresh food after 1 hour. But in the last 4-5 days he started to has loose poops. Two days ago he once had only liquid cloudy liquid poop with no feces. And yesterday he had cloudy poop too. But I realized that it is only after he eats vegetables. Today, I gave him only seeds and poops become all normal again. Have you experienced similar things? I finally found a good vet who knows about birds but they are 40 mins away and there is a quarantine going on until 17th of may. I am not sure if I can take permission to go to a vet that far away. I will go on with only seed diet tomorrow too to see if it changes anything. I can attach the cloudy poop photo if no one gets grossed out. I read that it might be a bacterial infection but it goes away with diet. Should I worry?

·
Super Moderator
5,053 Posts
After eating anything like veggies or fruits, you should expect much looser poops since they have a high water content. If it is just occasionally and corresponds with eating fresh food, I wouldn't worry too much. I would consider making a vet appointment, though, for after the quarantine is over to doublecheck. Also the vet might know where to get good foods in Turkey, and maybe even sells some themselves (vets often do in the United States).
There is a post on the forum showing different types of poop - this should help you judge the poop. (3) “Does this poop look normal?” Guide to Bird Poop | Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets While poop pictures isn't anyone's favorite pictures on the forum, they are definitely allowed. It helps to include cute pictures as well to make up for the poop pictures!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mostly feed him organic foods. Vets are really an issue in Turkey. Until I adopted Pastel I even didn't know there is a concept as avian vets. And my previous bird died because of the vet I took him. This time I made a deep research back then I was really young. The one I found is not avian but known as having knowledge of birds. I really have trust issues against the vets in Turkey :(
By the way, thank you so much for your reply! I know poop pictures are not nice but I will compensate him with the cute pictures with his own basketball field, toilet paper obsession, his accidental selfie and anger to my grandma's earrings :D

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,631 Posts
The dropping photos are very loose and I can see the concern. But you do have two things going. From what I can tell young birds tend to have watery droppings more than an adult bird. Also water such as baths and drinking will loosen up droppings as well as any fresh vegetables or fruits that have high water content. That the droppings firm up after going to seed is also normal Love the pics of Pastel, he looks healthy and happy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much, it is a relief! I will take him to vet as soon as the quarantine is over just for a general control and will continue to keep an eye on the droppings. Thanks for the help :)

·
Super Moderator
4,631 Posts
The seed mix looks good to me but I am not that much of an expert on it. Some people monitor that closer than I.
Something I noticed missing from the diet. Most of us add some sort of egg food and a bit a lean meat also. This is to get calcium and protein into the diet.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do give him cooked egg once a week, but with no shells. I provide him calcium block. I am not sure if that is enough but I can also buy eggfood too, I just thought the natural way was better.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do give him cooked egg once a week, but with no shells. I provide him calcium block. I am not sure if that is enough but I can also buy eggfood too, I just thought the natural way was better.

·
Super Moderator
4,631 Posts
That should work. We tend to make the egg shell available to our guys but none of ours like cuttlebone or calcium blocks but they do eat egg shell.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay thank you, I was not sure if egg shells were completely safe. Do you grind egg shells or do they bite through it? Mine adores cuttlebone he devours it :D

·
Super Moderator
4,631 Posts
we either feed a scrambled egg with the shell broke up or feed boiled egg and leave the shell.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
HI! If some of the fresh veggies have any type of lettuce mixed in, then this can be why your p'lett is having loose poo do's. Always leave a millet spray hanging in your cage. Take a broccoli floret and stick it between the cage bars all day long. It will not spoil, but will wilt. Baked chicken breast is really good for your p'lett every 4-5 days or so. Chop it up and freeze it. Take a hard boiled egg and cut it in half and give your precious some fun food. Hemp seeds are wonderful treats. Give you bird one seed at a time and feed many to him. This will get a bond going. By you feeding him, you act as a mother hen or as a mate would act in quiet times.
Are you from Turkey? I have taught college English to many international students from Turkey and other countries . They were very good students!

David

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi David! Yes, I am from Turkey, nice to meet you! I didn't feed him any lettuce or that kind of stuff. But is it possible that he had been only fed seeds in the breeder and when he came to me I started to give him lots of vegetables along with seeds and his body wasn't used to this diet. I cut the vegetables for two days, droppings became normal. Now, I will gradually add vegetables to his diet. I do give him hemp seeds as treats! He loves it! I will try giving him some chicken breast too, thank you very much for your advices! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts