Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone! I'm new here but need advice!

I own two Parrotlet's now, the first one is Fidget, my blue pied male, and Ripley is my second birb but he's still a youngin, he's a turquoise yellow pied. Fidget has been great since last August, the sweetest thing, didn't charge at me or bite, and always sat nicely on his window to chitter or chat with himself, saying words and talking a lot.

Now it's Mid June and I believe he is going through his hormonal season. When I first took him home, his wings stayed clipped, and now he free flys around the room so he has a LOT of freedom. As of late, his hormones have gotten bad. He tries to court everything he can find ( cups, bottle caps, medicine bottles, paper towel wads, anything green or blue ). When he finds these things, he ges obsessed and anyone that get's near the object he charges at. ( including his new brother Ripley who is still a baby ). When I take them away and he is unable to find another object, he will scream at the top of his lungs to the point that I start to get a horrible headache and give him what he wants to be near. I hate doing this though because he seems to get worse when he gets what he wants.

My question is, I heard that seasonal wing clipping is a thing for birds that are a bit more hormonal and out of control on their behavior. Does anyone here do this or know any information/input/comments/suggestions on it?

I really don't want to cause I love that he is able to fly around on his own, but he is really too much right now and I would love to calm him down. I'm a stay home artist and often times his hormone outbursts distract me from work. He even attaches himself to my drinking cups to the point I have to constantly shoo him away!!! XD

Thanks for any comments on this!

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
I haven’t heard of seasonal wing clipping, but wing clipping is a big help in giving them an attitude adjustment. With my first parrotlet, I tried many times to let his wings grow out. He turned into a little terror every time. Back to being a sweetheart as soon as he was clipped. That’s not the case for the majority of birds, but that was true for him. So in my experience, clipping is extremely helpful. There are different levels of wing clipping. Birds have 10 primary feathers. If Fidget gets 4-5 clipped, he’ll still be able to fly across the room. He’ll just slowly glide down rather than continuously fly. If 6-7 are clipped, he’ll safely glide to the floor but won’t fly across the whole room.

But there are many other factors with hormones. Diet, sleep, and environment heavily affect them. They need 12 hours of quiet sleep in the dark every night. Less sleep than that causes their hormones to increase. So getting 12 hours makes a huge difference if Fidget is currently getting less than that.

Diet is extremely important. If most of their diet is made of seed, that greatly increases their hormones. A base diet of veggies with pellets will reduce his hormones by a lot. A small part of their diet being seed and fruit is great for variety and limits how much fat and sugar they’re getting.

Environment. Rearrange the perches and toys in his cage. Take away any cuddly toys/beds. They increase nesting instincts which means more hormones.

Very, very important point. Fidget and Ripley need separate cages if they don’t already have separate cages. Parrotlets are cage territorial. With Fidget going through puberty, he will injure or kill Ripley if they are sharing a cage. Sorry if you already know that, just have to make sure :)

Unimportant side note, your Ripley is just called turquoise pied. The yellow is part of being turquoise pied :D My Luka is turquoise pied, too. Their colors are so pretty!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow thank you for the information! I am going to try and work on some of those with him, give him more sleep time and such. I don't like my boys to have a lot of seeds so his diet is usually pellets, fruits and veggies, and a low scoop of parrotlet seed mix.

Before I consider clipping I will do what you suggested to see if it helps, if he is still a obsessed terror, they there will be no choice but to clip him a bit to calm his attitude.

Both my boys are definitely in separate cages, I know how territorial these guys get. XD

As for Ripley, I didn't know that's what he is, since he's yellow I assumed that was his color. He's like a pastel shade, very handsome birb. :) I bet your Luka is just as pretty too!

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
You are very welcome! Glad to be helpful. I hope his reign of terror ends quickly ;) If you share a picture of Ripley, we’ll be able to tell you his color mutation. :D Please share pictures of both of them!!

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Welcome!
I am glad you have them separated because they will most likely fight. Could you put pics on something other than Dropbox? If not, that is okay. I just don't like signing in on Dropbox.

Sounds like you are doing okay, but you should never give in and let Fidget get his way with 'sex' attraction to an object. Keep removing them. He will bond with the object and not you. This is fact. Your newbie can be in danger at this time. Hormones drive a male crazy at times.He can be friendly one minute and then put on an outright attack the next minute.

If his noise distracts you and you work at home, you may have to live with the noise. With a new p'lett around, he may flock call all day long.

David and Bogie;):rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
4,893 Posts
One thought about the noise. Most chirps do not bother us bird people. But sometimes chirps of certain frequencies grate more. Noise cancelling or white noise generator in your office may help by changing the way you hear the chirp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts