Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have reached SCRITCHES!!! YAAAAAY!!!
Dodi now let's me give him scritches and we have banished a great many pin feathers he must have been so angry with. He is still wary which I completely understand.. a big human hand is scary but he seems to be getting used to scritches just before bed and I take it at his pace. To think he's been dealing with all those pinnies.
But it's progress. He's 9 months old now and I'm so proud of how far he's come since we got him 3 months ago.
Hoping he will master stepping up, he does it separately with each foot but we'll give that time. Hoping to see more of his personality come out then when he's fully comfortable. He's such a good little bird. I also wondered about bathing, his water bowl isn't big enough for him to bathe in and he doesn't come to the bottom of his cage. I've put different tubs in with icy water and such, do birds need baths (I'm guessing they do at some point). I have tried spraying him with a mist but he just stares at me as if I have dishonoured his family. Hehe. I hope that when he's brave enough to come out that we will be able to introduce him to water in a way he's more comfortable with but any suggestions would be fab.

Thanks for all your help so far.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hi ! P'letts are not crazy about bathing, but they will when they want. A lot of them will use their water dish, even if it is too small. My Bogie and Ricochet used a saucer plate with cool water in it. You can keep spraying, because Dodi will start to smooth out the water on his feathers. He is still young.

I am surprised that he hasn't gone through his terrible twos, yet. Usually from 4-10 months, they go through hormonal changes and then go through a nippy and temperamental stage for a while. There have been some p'letts who did not change much at all during this time, but don't count on it.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
4,617 Posts
Congrats on the scritches. that is a big trust thing and a good step on moving forward for you guys.
Bathing can be a challenge with our little one. It seems almost as many ways to bathe as there are parrotlets. Bo was big into using his water bowl. Jules started off requiring me to drip water on her from my hand and later traded over to a small desktop water fountain we got just for your use. Rio, we are still working on but at the moment it seems he prefers a ice cold glass of water that he totally dunks his head in and splashes around in. Jules used to hate getting her tail feathers wet. Rio seems to care less about them. As I say, they are all different and figuring out their little tricks is a fun puzzle to solve.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi ! P'letts are not crazy about bathing, but they will when they want. A lot of them will use their water dish, even if it is too small. My Bogie and Ricochet used a saucer plate with cool water in it. You can keep spraying, because Dodi will start to smooth out the water on his feathers. He is still young.

I am surprised that he hasn't gone through his terrible twos, yet. Usually from 4-10 months, they go through hormonal changes and then go through a nippy and temperamental stage for a while. There have been some p'letts who did not change much at all during this time, but don't count on it.

Dave
He's definitely a bit nippy but I try to be patient with him.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congrats on the scritches. that is a big trust thing and a good step on moving forward for you guys.
Bathing can be a challenge with our little one. It seems almost as many ways to bathe as there are parrotlets. Bo was big into using his water bowl. Jules started off requiring me to drip water on her from my hand and later traded over to a small desktop water fountain we got just for your use. Rio, we are still working on but at the moment it seems he prefers a ice cold glass of water that he totally dunks his head in and splashes around in. Jules used to hate getting her tail feathers wet. Rio seems to care less about them. As I say, they are all different and figuring out their little tricks is a fun puzzle to solve.
Aww thank you. They are little puzzles aren't they, we just need to figure out what they do and don't like. Thanks for your advice.

·
Super Moderator
4,617 Posts
Aww thank you. They are little puzzles aren't they, we just need to figure out what they do and don't like. Thanks for your advice.
I like puzzles and a parrotlet is the best puzzle of all. Constantly changing, very entertaining a bit frustrating.

Reactions: KiwiandDodi
1 - 6 of 6 Posts