Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My little one is about a year old now, and he's a sweetheart who is very attached to me. He has two major problems though-

1. "Screeching"- He stays in his cage in our bedroom. When he wakes up, he screeches, very loud pesky sounds until we get up and open the cage for him. He also does it if he's not getting attention from me even when he is out, like if I'm talking to someone else. I live in an apartment, and I'm scared people will start to complain. Not to mention, it's really annoying. My solution so far has been to say "no" or "shhh" and reward with "good boy!" after moments of silence. Mostly, I end up putting him in his cage in the bathroom.

2. Biting- He loves sitting in my hair. He's learned that when i reach up, it's usually to remove him so he's started to bite. Not friendly nibbles likes he does at my nails but vicious attacks. Same thing happens when he's on his cage and I reach out to him (he knows I'm about to put him inside.) I've heard about "quiet beak" but it's hard to do that when he's biting!

Any advice?

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Do you cover your bird's cage at night? If not, that might help. Also, sometimes if a bird gets out of control with noise a "cover up time out" can help, just putting the cover on for a few minutes until they settle down, saying "quiet" as you do.

If sitting on your shoulder, or in your hair, is becoming a problem, don't let him go there. It's good to train your bird to stay on your hands and arms, and not to expect the shoulders, and such...those are special places for well behaved birds. :)

Good luck with your sweetie!

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Very normal bx for parroletts
Ollie is 3 1/2yrs and does both. He wants my attention to get out of his cage, like there is nothing else I have l to do but serve him. I take him out for a little bit and is satisfied with getting out, even for a little while.
Ollie is well behaved on my shoulder most times, except when he is bored or hungry, then he gets bitey. Still love my green monster as demanding as he is.

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Hello!
Hmmm. You keep him in the bedroom during the day? Is he able to be around people all day?
What is his diet? Any veggies, or just plain old seeds or pellets? Does he have plenty of toys to play with? Do you have toys that you can hide treats ( like sunflower seeds, etc.) so he can dig into them and forage?
Do you fry an egg every once in a while and chop it up and let him have fun eating it? Chop up a little piece of broiled or baked chicken, not spiced, and give him some. Just don't put it on a dish, offer him different foods by putting the food in your fingers until he decides to like the food.
I have found that a bird with a fuller crop is a little more quieter.

During the day, put your bird or cage out in the open where things are going on around him. Let him see the TV or turn on the radio when he is noisy and see if he changes his attitude.

Does he step up? Every time? Read some of the forums on the left side of your monitor. It sounds like your little one needs more attention or distractions.

·
Super Moderator
6,543 Posts
Sounds like typical naughty parrotlet behavior.
I agree with the above suggestions, working on keeping him below chest level will help so he dosent feel dominant.
As for the calling, there's lotts of suggestions like mentioned. Try a "cover" time out, sometimes calling back from another room helps just so they know your there, other times you may want to ignore it. I also find that sometimes there can be to much stimulation like from a window, (all my birds get a view) when I want to nap I close the curtains. Sometimes it works.
Don't worry about the neighbors, it seems loud to us but they won't notice. If they did I doubt they would think as much of it as a bird outside. Sometimes I can hear my birds from the yard but it's only because I know their "call" my neighbors never notice.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Typical p'let! :)

My guy does the same stuff. I know that birds, like many other pets, typically like a routine to be followed--are you uncovering his cage at the same time every day or do you sometimes sleep in? I sleep in on weekends and since my dude is usually downstairs, he'll yell up at me to uncover him and get him out. If I want to go back to bed, I'll uncover him and then go back up. If I don't, I get him out. They get bored in their cages so easily! I try to get him out as much as I can so that he has enough stimulation, since I'm at work all day during the week.

I agree with others who say that if it's a problem when he gets on your shoulder, try to train him not to be there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts