Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wow thats some lungs for such a little bird! I just bought a supposed adult breeding pair from a young lady who bought them on an impuls buy :mad: and quickly learned that these are not the birds for her. needless to say that these poor things were neglected badly and damn are they ever mean. now i intend to give this little couple the best home they can get, but here's the trouble i'm having. the female won't come near me and the male freaks out and screams constantly and i mean SCREAMS:eek:! my gf is ready to kill me because i told her that pl's are quiet and friendly birds, i know how to deal with the biting, and man is he ever agressive (almost drew blood), but the screaming is getting a little old. how can i break this?
ps: i will post some pics when i can. and yes they are getting proper food and surroundings.

any help is appreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Mine cherps or calls when she wants something if I leave her in another room she won't hush till i go and get her or see what's up. Are they civil to each other? Does he stop when you go to the cage?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no. he just flips out when i go to the cage. and they are some times playfull with each other but sometimes they bicker like an old married couple. i might try to seperate them and see what happens but i think that will just cause more sreaming to call his flock. when they are quiet they just sit and snuggle. I think this is why the previouse owner shoved them in the basement. but atleast the gf is off holidays so i have the day time to work with them.

·
Registered
514 Posts
These guys are very territorial about their cages. I went through a screaming time with Bitsy recently. I've read that if they are calling YOU, it's best to ignore them. I suspect maybe he will settle down - the move has probably been hard on him. The other thing that might help is just covering him for a short period when the screaming is bad. Are there plenty of toys? Are these 2 getting lots of sleep - covered at night for 12 hours? Seems like a lot, but that's what it takes. Good luck - let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
514 Posts
How old are the birds? I guess I have two other thoughts. 1) from what I have read, there are some breeding pairs that are not easy to tame. Perhaps someone else can tell you/me if that's right or wrong. 2) one thing that helped me a LOT with Bitsy (who was handfed, but still only semi-tame) was this: multiple times a day, I put my hand in the cage, always holding something yummy for him to nibble. I would say Bitsy, look what I have for you! Then I let him nibble the food (didn't try to touch him or take him out of the cage), put the food in his dish, and left. Maybe you could try that.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Nemo goes pretty insane at times. Yes, I got him initially because I was told by many breeders that Parrotlets are quiet and make great apartment pets. Well...he is loud, LOL.

Agreed with musicjan -- if you know that they're actually making noise to get your attention, it's best to ignore it. Or it might just turn into a fun game for them.

I don't know what else to tell you. Usually when Nemo is loud, it's because he's lacking attention and once he's out of the cage, he's nice and quiet. In fact, he hardly ever makes a peep when he's out and about.

He's quiet, too, when he's busy devouring delicious food. :D

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
She got two at once? Breeders? It might have been best to get one and bond to her and it would be more quiet. Two can be a whole diff. thing. Breeders are not usually pets. Especailly when they are in the same cage.

Chipper is very quiet. I will just keep having one. Seems quieter from all I have seen.

Can you put them in separate cages and work to carefully get them tame. I can't see them tame and in the same cage if they are like this. It may take a while, but seperate cages and patience will help.

Yes, LOTS of sleep, full spec. light for a couple of hours a day, great foods, birdie breads, sw. potato/veggie mash and good seed will help.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Sally,

She got two breeders, OLDER, ABUSED and WITH ISSUES. This will be a challenging project. I'd love to know if they could be turned into pets.

Kukishin,

We have two, they can be noisy at times, bicker like an old married coupled at times or call to each other from opposite ends of the house but are sweet to each other most of the time.

We got them just after they were weened so, we didn't have the issues you are going through.

My initial thoughts are:

1. give them a little time to settle down, their world just got turned upside down.

2. once they have settled down a bit, rearrange their cage interior (or get a new cage). This should reduce their territorial issues.

3. You need to get them to realize that YOU are the head of their flock. You must show benevolent dominance.

These are just my thoughts, I do not have much experience with rescue birds.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all the comments. I bribed the male with broccoli at lunch and he actually stepped up onto mi finger! but when he got tired of the broccoli he turned to the fingers (OWCH). took a good piece out of the back of my thumb so i took his treat away and covered the cage. but still.... its progress.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was really choked when i heard the backstory of these birds from the seller. thats why i took them in without question. these little guys suffered because of a bad breeder and a poorly prepaired owner. apparently the girl i recieved them from has only had them since the summer. and they were purchased from a supposed "breeder" as a pair. I really hope that living with me will help these birds.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Kukishin - I commend you on taking these guys out of their last situation – Already they are better off.

Depending on how devoted you are to working with them - you might consider contacting a bird behaviorist – even for an over the phone consultation – maybe someone on this Board can recommend one.

Do you know anything of their background prior to the person you got them from? This pair could be wild or parent raised or a retired breeding pair or even a hand raised couple that haven't been handled in a while - they could be one year old or 25 years old - each one of these scenarios may require a different approach in working with them - A vet might be of help in determining their age and health.

From what I've gathered from your post - your girlfriend might be expecting them to be quiet by the time she returns from her Holiday ?? – Er, Good luck with that :rolleyes:

You might want to let your gf know that the Parrotlet is considered a quiet bird but what that means is they are not as loud as the larger Parrots – they can still be vocal.

Quiet to each individual is relative - I don't find my Parrotlet at his loudest to be loud but I've had people over that said "I thought this bird was supposed to be quiet" - to me he is - to them he's not.

Your pair more than likely are bonded to one another - in which case they will have little interest or incentive to bonding with humans and you may be in for an uphill battle. Even for a person experienced in parrot taming - hand taming a bonded pair could potentially take many months.

But having him step on your finger to taste broccoli is a good sign indeed. :)

I wish you much luck.

Cheers.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Why oh why do people who have never raised birds think they can breed birds. They can't take care of the parents and then they want them to have babies. Please tell your girl friend that they will get better, I think alot of good about you that you would try to help them If we can help we will and if we can't we will find someone else who knows... Good luck keep us posted:)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Kukishin, just my suggestion - but try the broccoli or whatever and let him eat it on his perch. This poor little guy doesn't trust people - it will take some time. The food - eaten while he is still on his perch - builds trust. Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
all birds, no matter how abused or neglected, regardless of if they were breeders or pets, can become lovely companions. i have done rescue for quite a while and all come around. even ones that choose bird companionship over human can be civil and trusting with the right care.

work with each individually, out of sight of the other. i would highly recommend mattie sue athan's the second hand parrot of you don't have it already. it has lots of great tips.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I would sugest that you partially cover the cage. If you have a long cages, take a sheet and clip it to the back and one side so it comes up to the front, but doesnt cover the front, on the other side have it cover the side and come 1/2 way along the front, so if your looking down on the cage, it makes an off centered "c" almost. This will give them the security of their cage, but can still see your coming & goings.
Thats great you had some progress with the treat, sorry for the thumb! It will take time, but they (he) will settle down.
How long have you had them again?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
actually only for a week. so i don't expect great leaps and bounds. but today the male decided i needed to shave, so he hopped on my arm and started plucking hair. (little bugger) gut again its progress. i tried to get some pics but the camera is outsmarting me so it will be a while.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
kukishin,

It sounds like you're making progress! Preening is a sign of affection.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Bitsey Jo gives me a manicure sometimes even though I never asked for it. She is seriously helping me out and aside from screaming and jerking my hand away which you cannot do she is rough. Owh and stop and no no no are not enough sometimes. She means well I guess. This is a thought I just had when someone asks about putting two together and wondering if they will get along, welllll if they don't one of them is gonna be miserable and be at peril if they get bit regularly by the other. If you been bitten by yours you can have some empathy for the weaker of the mismatched pair. Tha's gonna be my new answer for that question.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wings finally clipped, ha! and the weird thing is that the female that never comes near anyone is now handlable and even dare i say slightly sociable.
I got some new special food for them and some healthy treats. now all the need is a good bath. I really didn't notice how bad off this pair (male now named buster bird) really was untill I took them into my friends pet shop today and seen them next to her 5 mo olds. in comparison my rescue pair are supposed to be adults but are smaller not fluffy and really scragly lookin. so I still got a long way to go. I will get a cam and do some before and after pics for reference. but that will have to wait. i lost my patience with the crappy cam i had and tossed it out! so next on the to do list......
but anyway, just wanted to give an update on the progress. thanks alot for all the help. myself, buster and no-name really appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts