Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I’m back with my sweet little 5 month old yellow parrotlet. It’s been almost a month since I’ve had her (just as a refresher - she was sold as being 100% hand raised and fed and very friendly.) I don’t know if she’s still settling in or not but she is genuinely afraid of me. When I come near her little body starts breathing fast and she gets ready to fly away even with the cage door closed and me walking past. I haven’t tried to push her into doing anything yet since she’s so young but I’m just surprised she’s so skittish still even after supposedly being hand raised. Does this seem normal?? To give a little bit more information, I have tried starting clicker training but the problem is that I can’t even open the cage doors without her freaking out - let alone trying to get close enough to give her a treat.. I was told in a previous post that finding her favorite treat is super important but I have no way of getting the treats to her to try. She seems to really like the spray millet when I hang it in her cage but she doesn’t like anyone getting close to her. :cry: I also make sure to chat with her during the days so she gets used to my voice and presence but it hasn’t seemed to work.. does anyone have any advice for this? What would be the best way to start forming this bond I so want?? Does it usually take over a month for a parrotlet to feel comfortable? Thank you in advance!!

·
Super Moderator
4,566 Posts
It varies. As you will discover every parrotlet is a very special creature. Being young and "hand raised" I would expect less anxiety at this point but every experience is different. My first 2 were older rescues that took me a bit to get to be friendly. My current guy is a hand raise that is afraid of nothing, he has his own issues including using my ears as chew toys. They all were very much their own puzzle box creatures with their own solutions. So don't get to wound up with time comparisons. I just know it is hard when you first get them because you love them and you want them to love you, or at least like you.

What is your daily routine around your little one? Tell us more about what is or not working.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It varies. As you will discover every parrotlet is a very special creature. Being young and "hand raised" I would expect less anxiety at this point but every experience is different. My first 2 were older rescues that took me a bit to get to be friendly. My current guy is a hand raise that is afraid of nothing, he has his own issues including using my ears as chew toys. They all were very much their own puzzle box creatures with their own solutions. So don't get to wound up with time comparisons. I just know it is hard when you first get them because you love them and you want them to love you, or at least like you.

What is your daily routine around your little one? Tell us more about what is or not working.
I totally understand and respect that they are all their own lil personalities - I truly love that about them. I guess I’m just having doubts and wondering if there’s something I could be doing differently. To give some detailed information I’ll just go through my day:
9am - Wake up and first thing I do is uncover her cage, turn on the lights and chat with her a little bit about how she slept. I’m consistently talking to her or asking what she’s doing daily. I clean her food and water dishes and refill them being sure to explain what I’m doing in a soft voice and MOST of the time she is fine with me changing those and doesn’t get too anxious.
10am - Leave for work (I work part time so I’m generally only gone 4-6 hours a day.) I leave on calming parrot sounds and music at a low volume while I’m gone so she has something to listen to.
3-4pm - Come home and greet her again, usually my boyfriend is with me on weekends as well so we’ll both sit and chat with her for a bit. I try my best to work on clicker training with her but I still can’t get her to stay in one place when I have a treat
6pm - This is generally the time I introduce new foods to her. She’s never come near it but I try to introduce them daily so she gets used to seeing it and hopefully will eventually feel comfortable enough to eat some new foods.
8pm- This is usually the time she starts grinding her beak on her favorite perch. I’ve come to notice she does this about an hour before i start calming down and turning some of my lights off. I usually remark on the fact that she’s grinding her beak and just say things like how happy I am she’s feeling comfortable up there!
9-10pm - I usually put her to bed around this time depending on how tired I am by the end of the day. I cover her with a nice blanket and say my good nights to her. I don’t hear any kind of noises when I cover her so I’m assuming she’s going right to sleep.
She honestly doesn’t do or play with much in her cage. She likes one specific perch and I can tell she doesn’t move a whole lot based on where her droppings are (directly under the perch.)

I’m just concerned that she isn’t comfortable with something and I am oblivious to what that could be..

·
Registered
856 Posts
Your little girl seems so scared. I can imagine how distressing that is to you, but you have to remember that it takes some birds longer to get used to their surroundings. I would suggest that you start all over again – like it is day one and you just brought your bird home. Basically, I think the best thing to do is leave them alone for a week or two to get used to their environment. Your little one has gone through a lot a change and just needs more time to adjust. Let them watch you from afar – do not stay in their space for long – you can briefly show up, drop a yummy treat in their food bowl and walk away – this teaches them that you beneficial to them and all you are doing is bringing them good things and leaving them alone. This will help to build up trust. Keep soft music on for them - it will help level out sounds to drum out any scary background noises in your home. Also, if you have not already, keep their food and water bowls high up in their cage - a skittish bird does not want to go down to the bottom of their cage where they feel most vulnerable. Also, keep in mind that some birds are afraid of jewelry like earrings and rings, also bright colored nail polish and certain colors of clothes. Birds also see colors in the UV spectrum, so they can see colors that are invisible to human beings! Cleopatra will only go near her daddy if he is wearing a white shirt. Another thing that is important is to learn how to read your birds body language. As soon as you see any fear responses, leave them alone! What you need to work on in just making them feel comfortable and safe. It is good that you are not trying to force them to do anything that they are not ready to do, because that will damage your relationship. I know you want to interact with your bird, but you must have patience, especially since your baby is so frightened

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
I don't think your bird was really hand trained or human friendly while at the breeders. I think your bird was probably sold to someone and they returned her back to the breeder or the breeder just had her in a cage and made little effort to hand train. You have had her a month and she is 5 months old....This means that the breeder had her 4 months and that bird would definitely be human friendly if they were raised to be friendly. I think the breeder occasionally handled the bird, if at all.
It is true, some birds take longer to get settled in, but if she was trained, she would not be breathing hard and desperate to get away from you. She almost sounds like she was not in the best of care before you got her.
She hasn't settled in and is 5 months old....she is getting ready for her terrible twos, and she is not settled and friendly. Also, some birds take a long time to trust a human hand in their cage. Even after a year!

You have a lot of work ahead of you. I agree that you need to start all over. From what I have read, she has to be friendly to start with the clicker training. Be gentle and calm all the time. You may have to sit next to her cage for a couple of hours each day and sweet talk her. Offer her a piece of millet spray through the bars while you sit and talk. Be her friend.

We had a new member a few years ago who lived in Texas and had a bird like yours. It was supposed to be trained to be friendly and really wasn't. She had a hard time for 6 months before the bird would start to settle down. She tried everything and the bird never really settled. She finally gave the bird to a friend and in 2 weeks, the bird was friendly, happy and would step up, etc. Go figure! Her friend told her that all she did was sit next to the cage and talked and offered millet and other treats through the bars. The bird started to trust.

David and Vicki

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone, I’m back with my sweet little 5 month old yellow parrotlet. It’s been almost a month since I’ve had her (just as a refresher - she was sold as being 100% hand raised and fed and very friendly.) I don’t know if she’s still settling in or not but she is genuinely afraid of me. When I come near her little body starts breathing fast and she gets ready to fly away even with the cage door closed and me walking past. I haven’t tried to push her into doing anything yet since she’s so young but I’m just surprised she’s so skittish still even after supposedly being hand raised. Does this seem normal?? To give a little bit more information, I have tried starting clicker training but the problem is that I can’t even open the cage doors without her freaking out - let alone trying to get close enough to give her a treat.. I was told in a previous post that finding her favorite treat is super important but I have no way of getting the treats to her to try. She seems to really like the spray millet when I hang it in her cage but she doesn’t like anyone getting close to her. :cry: I also make sure to chat with her during the days so she gets used to my voice and presence but it hasn’t seemed to work.. does anyone have any advice for this? What would be the best way to start forming this bond I so want?? Does it usually take over a month for a parrotlet to feel comfortable? Thank you in advance!!
I'm almost afraid to reply. The last entry I made was objected to by a reader. But, here goes from a parrotlet mom of a 5 month old Pacific named Zelena. I have had similar issues and believe our babies got separated from their parents too soon. Like your baby, Zelena does not want me near her cage. I have found that talking to her in a whisper, soft and sweet, and closing my eyes off and on has helped. Please give it a try sitting near her cage, not standing above her. Good luck.
Murdoch

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'm almost afraid to reply. The last entry I made was objected to by a reader. But, here goes from a parrotlet mom of a 5 month old Pacific named Zelena. I have had similar issues and believe our babies got separated from their parents too soon. Like your baby, Zelena does not want me near her cage. I have found that talking to her in a whisper, soft and sweet, and closing my eyes off and on has helped. Please give it a try sitting near her cage, not standing above her. Good luck.
Murdoch
Don't take it too personally - we are all learning here, and I'm sure the reader was just having a bad day. Don't be afraid to reply to threads :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts