Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This poor little eaglet fell out of his nest yesterday evening and landed on a ledge off a cliff that drops, I believe, 300 feet into the Pacific Ocean. I think they said he fell about five feet onto the ledge. He has been on that ledge all night without any food or warmth from his parents. I am sickened over this. There is supposed to be a rescue team coming from Southern Cal. I just wish they would hurry up. It is so sad to hear the parents flying around calling for him. The camera lens has a smudge on it and moves around a bit at times, but I have been able to see hum when he moves. Poor little guy - he must be so scared. Lets hope he stays put until help comes!

·
Administrator
5,088 Posts
Great. Glad rescuers have showed up. Some of the eagle hacks are pretty isolated. we have lost a few this year.

Reactions: Anya

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I love these majestic birds. It is sad to hear that we have lost some this year. This is one lucky little eaglet - so glad there was a ridge there to stop him from plummeting into the ocean. What a relief to see him/her with Mom and Dad again.

This is a video of the rescue.

A video of Choyln and Chase finally united with their baby.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Well thankfully I got to see this after he was rescued and back with his family!!! Eagles are so amazing. We have one that shows up here from time to time and I literally drop everything I am doing to even catch a glimpse. Gorgeous.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is very cool that get to see one where you live. I would love that! :) This little guy is really feisty. I just hope he stays safe. There's only eight pairs of eagles on Catalina Island so losing one chick can be a pretty big impact.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
This past winter, our neighbours saw two of them feasting on the remains of a poor deer that they figured was killed by wolves. A little too wild kingdom for my taste, but super cool. I didn’t have the heart to drive there to see. Nature sure cleans up after itself though.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I am the same way - I can't watch nature shows when they show the lions eating a gazelle. Ughhh. Even yesterday, I was watching the videocam, Dad brought a live Flying Fish to the nest. The poor thing was flopping around and I felt sorry for it being eaten alive. But they have to eat.
These Eagles are killing me. This morning, Chase (dad) put a tumbleweed in the nest! He is making darn sure the kid doesn't go anywhere! :ROFLMAO: It is way to big, but you got to love them, it just shows you how concerned they are about their baby falling out of the nest again.

Update - wind moved the bush, so now Mom has room to fit in the nest again! lol

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I had an office on the 16th floor of a building once and the building across the street was home to a pair of Peregrine falcons! They nested on the roof there and the hotel was VERY protective of them. They put out video cams so you could watch their babies hatch. So cool! My window had the (mis)fortune of looking over this ledge on the side of the building where they would bring their prey (usually pigeons) to eat when they were not giving it to the babies. I will spare you the details of that sight as I am sure your imagination will suffice. When they were done, these other ridiculous pigeons would fly up there and eat what was left of their brethren!! The coolest part was when the babies fledged and you could watch them practice skydiving and catching each other. Magnificent. But I am with you, I feel so sorry for the prey. I just wish it wasn’t so cruel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts