Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most everyone knows, p'lets have BIG personalities. Unfortunately, mine seem to believe that they can take on my African Greys. As a result, their lives are in danger every time they are out of their cages. They invariably end up landing on the big birds' cages, and I'm always worried that I won't be able to intervene in time. (My Greys HATE the p'lets and go for them every time - and if caught they would kill them.)

Since I don't want to end up with a tragedy on my hands, I don't let the p'lets out deliberately, although sometimes they will escape from me or their cage during cleaning or transferring to travel cages. And, this is making me seriously consider rehoming three of them. (Skyler has medical issues which I will not, in good conscience, "dump" onto someone else.)

Rehoming the Greys is out of the question, as they are both very near and dear to their "daddy." We rescued our CAG from a very bad situation and would never consider putting him back on the rehome merry-go-round.

At the moment, I have no options but to keep all the cages in our livingroom (we're still in the middle of renovating the rest of the house - which is taking much longer than originally planned.)

I'd like some opinions..... Would it be better to adopt out my p'lets privately? Or, surrender them to Greyhaven (our local bird rescue.) My only concern with Greyhaven is that they are already overloaded with birds (many have been with them for years) and I'm concerned that they will wait indefinitely for a permanent home.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Had you considered clipping the flight feathers of the parrotlets so they can't get to the cages of your large parrots? My own parrotlets are not afraid of any of my larger parrots but they are in no danger if they can't get to where they want to go. My lovebirds have the same attitude. They think they are the size of Hyacinth Macaws, when, in reality, they are not much more than a morsel in the beak of a larger bird should the two species occupy the same perch space!

Once you can keep them safe and separate, you can always let those clipped feathers grow back. Just a thought on my part.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
In addition to my p'let I have several larger birds, so I understand your concerns. Mine all live in my living room as well, and most are cage free (except the p'let for his own safety, and the lorikeet because of her messiness).

I would also recommend trying a wing clip before considering rehoming them. Clip up to 7 flights from each wing and they will not be able to maintain lift to get to your Greys, especially if they are across the room. They will realize this and be less likely to venture away from their cages. Are they tame?

you are right that many rescues are flooded with birds right now, and small birds are often harder to place than large ones. Even trying to place them privately can be difficult, as they may end up with backyard breeders, hoarders, or resold for profit. The rescue I foster for often gets calls from people who are at their wit's end from trying to place birds privately because of all the nutjobs out there.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Clipping their wings has been in the back of my mind.... until now, I've been loath to consider this as I'm generally "anti-clipping." I've always felt that birds are meant to fly and try to accommodate all my birds accordingly. Keeping the p'lets flighted has prevented the Greys from catching them on several occasions (when both the Greys were out and a p'let got away from me.) P'lets are amazingly quick and maneuverable on the wing and can lead a flying Grey on a merry chase. It is a frightening event to watch - a Grey hot on the heels of a sassy p'let. They have very lucky so far, but it's only a matter of time before something tragic happens.

I endeavor to be very careful, but accidents still happen, and p'lets invariably make a break for it, putting themselves in harm's way by heading straight for the Greys' cages. (Silly little macho males! :rolleyes:)

I will try clipping them and see how things go. Hopefully, once they realize they can no longer fly quite as freely, they will cease their bold attacks on the Greys.

Thank you for your input, it is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I hear what you are saying about wanting your birds to have flight ability and you don't have to take all of that away from them, just limit how far or how fast they can go. I live with 3 Greys and one of them is very destructive. Having her fully flighted is flat out dangerous so I do what I call a mini clip. I clip just the 3 outside flights on each wing and that slows her down just enough. Make no mistake about it. She can still fly but she can't make it to the top of my curtains/drapes so that she can chew up the material when she thinks I'm not looking!

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
I have a Grey too that my p'lets will go after sometimes. My Grey doesn't purposely go after the p'lets, but she's curious about them. I let them all out at the same time, but under careful supervision. To prevent the p'lets from landing on top of the Grey's cage and get their toes bitten off, I put some grapevine branches and a manzanita T-perch on top of the cage. The p'lets are more likely to fly and land on those, since they're higher, than the actual cage itself.

And I would agree with everybody else about trying the wing clip. Yes, it'll restrict their flying, but in a pinch, they can fly a short distance away to get away from the Grey's reach. I would just let them get use to the wing clip to make sure that they've made the adjustments for it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
enborgle quick question i see you have quite a few birds if you have them out most of the time all together in your living isnt cleaning after the poop a bit hard or tricky you have anyway around this ? and also mama2manymouths i would see if you could find a temporary home for them with someone with knowledge in looking after birds or looking for a bit more experience or maybe a relative who would be able to handle it, this way not clip and definetly no bird home and once your renovations are done find a suitable happier place for the plets

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
The ones who are cage free have proven themselves pretty reliable, as in they don't usually wander and they are all clipped, so they don't fly anywhere either. Each of them has their own playstand that is "home" and they rarely get down unless ferried around by me, so the mess stays contained in the tray of the playstand just as it would if they had bars containing them. The odd poop hits the floor, of course, but not much. This living situation works well for everyone except the Lorikeet - she has too much energy to stay still and lories have almost liquid droppings, so she is the only one that has to stay caged because of the mess (and havoc!) she could wreak on my house. My parrotlet also stays caged, for safety reasons.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts