Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Let me start by saying thank you I know I posted another question this morning. Do any of you know of a safe iron to use? I have the Black & Decker and there is no coding on the metal. But I’m unsure of the inside parts of course. I’ve tried to contact the company. Do any of you happen to have this iron? I’m nervous about turning it on.Thanks in advance! Erin and Georgie

Attachments

·
Registered
462 Posts
Hello. Let me start by saying thank you I know I posted another question this morning. Do any of you know of a safe iron to use? I have the Black & Decker and there is no coding on the metal. But I’m unsure of the inside parts of course. I’ve tried to contact the company. Do any of you happen to have this iron? I’m nervous about turning it on.Thanks in advance! Erin and Georgie
Do you iron frequently? I have a basic iron similar to this and I use it very infrequently (probably like... twice). If you don't use a lot you may be OK. It seems to be from my research made of stainless steel. :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
It'll probably be safe to use in a different room from where your parrotlet is, especially if you open a window. It's a good question though as many products that you wouldn't expect contain some teflon.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you iron frequently? I have a basic iron similar to this and I use it very infrequently (probably like... twice). If you don't use a lot you may be OK. It seems to be from my research made of stainless steel. :)
I haven’t ironed in about 4 years. Haha.
It would be very in frequently. And I could do it when he’s in his room after he’s gone to bed at night or in the morning before he gets up in a different room. It looked to me like it’s made of stainless steel as well. Thank you for giving me your opinion!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It'll probably be safe to use in a different room from where your parrotlet is, especially if you open a window. It's a good question though as many products that you wouldn't expect contain some teflon.
Good thought about opening a window. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,781 Posts
You are most likely good. Most the Teflon issues involve either cookware when it is really overheated or older ovens when they are in self clean mode.
It was mainly cheaper teflon from the 90s / 00s that is the issue. The newer stuff is supposed to be much safer and not gas out at extreme heats.

Reactions: coyotl

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
You should be fine! My wife makes all her clothes and she has to use the iron frequently. She maked sure she was in a different room. Good Question!

Warning!!!! Do not use any type of aerosol spray around your bird unless it is a medical spray! When I had Ricochet, I sprayed Formula 409 cleaner too close to him and he was rushed to the vets! The vet gave him oxygen after he wiped off his beak and nostrils with a wet cloth. The spray will stick to the beak and go down to the lungs. Ricochet was lucky!

Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
You are most likely good. Most the Teflon issues involve either cookware when it is really overheated or older ovens when they are in self clean mode.
It was mainly cheaper teflon from the 90s / 00s that is the issue. The newer stuff is supposed to be much safer and not gas out at extreme heats.
this is really good to know — thank you!

·
Registered
462 Posts
this is really good to know — thank you!
Yeah and it's also chipped teflon so if you chip a pan def throw it out - bad for us too!
I just avoid cookware with PTFE or PFOA in it in general but I know not everyone has that luxury :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
We have this exact iron and used it in the same room as our parrotlet (about 12 feet away from his cage) for many years with no issue. Even used the steam! I probably wouldn't recommend leaving it on for an extended amount of time without it being used but I believe this model also has an auto off/standby feature after a 2 few minutes!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We have this exact iron and used it in the same room as our parrotlet (about 12 feet away from his cage) for many years with no issue. Even used the steam! I probably wouldn't recommend leaving it on for an extended amount of time without it being used but I believe this model also has an auto off/standby feature after a 2 few minutes!
Great to know! Thank you!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts