Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve seen a lot of people but running wheels (think hamster style) for their birds and the birds love them. I want to find a wheel that’s sturdy but not impossible for such a small bird to hop on. Anyone here use running wheels for their bird? If so, what model wheel?

Also if it’s a dangerous practice please let me know that too. I’ve seen it quite often, but I know from experience that tried doesn’t always mean true. Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Hmm I'd worry about their little toesies getting stuck. I have seen birds on running wheels but I think only biggers birds like budgies.

·
Registered
254 Posts
They have hamster wheels without any barring that might work. I'd get a pretty large size, but idk if a p'let would be super interested in it,

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
The wire ones can trap their toes. But I think the solid plastic ones would probably be alright. I can't imagine mine ever using one though.

·
Super Moderator
5,102 Posts
With supervision, I could imagine that there is a parrotlet out there that would enjoy it. However, most of them would DESPISE IT WITH THE PASSION OF A THOUSAND BURNING SUNS, so it would be quite the gamble trying it out. ;) :D

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Rubydoo252 is right on! I actually tried one out for Bogie at my adult son's request and all Bogie would do was to put his babies (plastic bottle caps) on the smooth running part. He wouldn't get in/on it . It is hard for the parrot species to run very much. Try skates, if you get a bird that will be willing to be trained.;):rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
It is hard for the parrot species to run very much. Try skates, if you get a bird that will be willing to be trained.;):rolleyes:

I beg to differ, my Huey runs all over the place. When he is angry he pulls up his wings and runs with them up high lol

I dont think he would like a wheel though, he very rarely runs through the slinky I hav ein his cage.

·
Super Moderator
5,102 Posts
Tumi is pretty fast on his feet as well, but mostly in attack-mode. I could see him bashing the wheel into bits and enjoying himself that way, but pointless running in circles definitely isn't for my little dude. :D

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
I beg to differ, my Huey runs all over the place. When he is angry he pulls up his wings and runs with them up high lol

I dont think he would like a wheel though, he very rarely runs through the slinky I hav ein his cage.

I meant that parrots do not like to run on wheels. Bogie runs after my hand/fingers if I try to grab a toy that he like. He is fast!;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
PetSmart sells a solid plastic one for about 9 bucks. Its super slick so I put a bunch of scratches on it with a razor blade box cutter. That way willy doesn't slip. He also can't get his toes stuck in it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.