Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,573 Posts
I have given small pieces to Kiwi in the past. No skin though. Just a small piece of white meat. Funny story - my mother hated it when I gave her chicken. She said it was cannibalism. Yikes!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I would try and give Cleopatra baked chicken and she would not touch it...Not no way. Not no how. It is funny how they are all different! Kathy, let us know if Willie likes it or not!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would try and give Cleopatra baked chicken and she would not touch it...Not no way. Not no how. It is funny how they are all different! Kathy, let us know if Willie likes it or not!
How big of a piece of rotisserie chicken should I give Willie?

·
Administrator
5,235 Posts
Lean chicken meat is fine. We have always gave our guys some.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I just wonder if Rotisserie chicken from the store may have a lot of sodium in it. I would check to see if they add any seasonings too. Maybe some plain baked chicken would be a better choice. If Willie likes it, I would offer him just a small amount at first to see how he handles it. You want to make sure it doesn’t give him a stomach ache or gives him diarrhea before you offer him a larger piece. Giving chicken once in a while is not going to harm him, it will give him some protein which birds need!

·
Super Moderator
3,573 Posts
The higher sodium and unknown ingredients on the skin is why I only give her the meat and not the skin. I am not sure if the salt penetrates the skin into the meat - maybe a little. I just give her a small piece … I am trying to think of something to compare the size. Maybe quarter or half the size of a dime? They’re pretty small. I always try to picture what I am giving her by the size of her head compared to mine (which sounds hilarious). What would a piece of meat half the size of my head look like? Enormous! Maybe about the size of her beak is a better measure. I don’t really measure, but that’s roughly what I mean by a small piece. Not sure if that’s helpful at all. It’s harder to describe than it seems. To Anya’s point, I usually give her baked chicken I make myself and am a bit less fussed about the amount. But I would never get away with having rotisserie chicken in the house without giving her a piece!

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
I used to give Huey a tiny bit of everyhting we had for dinner, (unless it was on the no no list) he would chow down. I bought these plastic clear plates the are 2 1/2 insches square. I would just put some on and he would eat what he wanted.

·
Administrator
5,235 Posts
All on mine have enjoyed chewing on the end of chicken bones. I figured it had a lot of calcium in it so would let them have a bit.

Reactions: ginziputzi

·
Registered
179 Posts
Oh yes, Pip loves the bone better than when I give him plain chicken meat. I leave a tiny bit of meat and he attacks it like a vulture. He thinks he’s a dinosaur. I’m careful though because he really can chomp on the bone and I don’t want him to get slivers.
he eats most of what I’m having for dinner Unless it’s a no-no. He LOVES spaghetti. I always leave a half strand of angel hair plain for him. He still haunts me for some of mine as well. Lol
and boy does he like chomping of corn right on the cob. He only gets a few kernels, but he loves it.

·
Administrator
5,235 Posts
One point to mention. I asked about this with my avian vet and it is cool. In the wild parrotlet are a scavenger and would pick up this type of protein by eating dead animals or bugs. So a bit of cooked chicken is much healthier then what their wild family would get.

Reactions: ginziputzi

·
Super Moderator
3,573 Posts
Kiwi also gets whatever we eat as well (as has been said, except things that are no-nos). I have never thought of a chicken bone with a bit of chicken though. Makes sense!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Supposedly a lot of rotisserie chickens from the stores are loaded with sodium (some have 550 grams per serving!) and they inject the birds with a solution to keep them moist. The solution contains seasoning and sugar, etc. Kathy, I would read the label. A small amount once in a while might be okay, but I would not make a habit of it. But that is me. On the cautious side, as usual.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts