Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Bourke Rosey is not doing well. I don't know what's going on with her.
We moved to a new house, but now I'm thinking that's not the only factor. Jasper always chases her and usually she just flys away from him and if he bops her she is annoyed but fine. It's bird behavior.
But last week I heard her flapping and she fell right out of the "sky" and landed on the floor. It made such a plop I expected she died and fell straight down, but she was sitting there and I picked her up. It happened again the next day and she lost a large patch of feathers on her chin. Now I can't take her out, or let her out with Jasper. Any time she flys a short distance she lands, and then looses her balance and starts wobbling like she's going to pass out. Sometimes she regains her balance and other times she just falls. However far that is.

I'm just heartbroken. I don't want to loose another baby. I can take her to the vet but I'm worried about her even surviving the visit. She looks like she's just going to fall over and die when she gets stressed even a little bit.
Lack of calcium? She is a egg layer however haven't seen any eggs in a while.
Trauma? Maybe she injured herself before we even moved here and I didn't know?
Ear infection? Sick? Heart problems? Stress?
Bird Eye Parrot Beak Grey

I just don't know. 馃槶 I feel like she's dying and I'm going to loose her like Tobie and there's nothing I will be able to do.

Super Moderator
Poor girl! I know the stress of a vet visit isn't ideal, but I would try taking her in. Lack of calcium is always possible for egg layers, so you could try adding more calcium to her food to see if that helps. :( I'd try to prevent flying and set up a hospital cage. :( Poor girl, and poor mommy!

Super Moderator
Oh poor baby! I really think it is worth the risk of a vet visit. Those are worrying symptoms and it could be something easily remedied. Even if it isn鈥檛, at least you will know and will have tried something.

Administrator
Sorry to hear about Rosey. She seems like a sweet bird and I am saddened by her not being in the best of health

Reactions: Mrs.JP3

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Poor girl! I know the stress of a vet visit isn't ideal, but I would try taking her in. Lack of calcium is always possible for egg layers, so you could try adding more calcium to her food to see if that helps. :( I'd try to prevent flying and set up a hospital cage. :( Poor girl, and poor mommy!
I know, I talked to the owner of the rescue here and she has some prescription supplement she can give me for the calcium suspicions and I gave Rosey some calcium powder and millet last night. I thought it was just stress of the new house but she would have gotten over it by now. I put her in a travel cage in the bedroom and was letting her out by herself in the safe environment but she was still having issues after a couple days so now I'm at what you said. Treat her like a sickey and see if I can get her to the vet asap

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry to hear about Rosey. She seems like a sweet bird and I am saddened by her not being in the best of health
She is. I love her. I can't handle loosing another bird.

I'm going to pick up the suppliments and take it really easy on her and see how it goes because I don't think she will survive the stress of a vet visit or tests and without blood I don't think they can help anyway without them.
We will see in a couple days. I feel like this is Tobie 2.0 馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶

Administrator
She is. I love her. I can't handle loosing another bird.

I'm going to pick up the suppliments and take it really easy on her and see how it goes because I don't think she will survive the stress of a vet visit or tests and without blood I don't think they can help anyway without them.
We will see in a couple days. I feel like this is Tobie 2.0 馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶
I agree about blood tests. Still There are noninvasive test that can be ran. Gram stains from oral and vent area can tell a lot. Those go at two levels. One done that day at the vet and another that can be sent out and cultured to look for specific info.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am so incredibly happy to report that Rosey is completely back to her normal self! I am so relieved, I was so worried about her. We began putting extra calcium in her food, which we should have done anyway but I think she just got really deficient and it was SCARY!!! It took a couple weeks for her to be 100%
I love her so much, she's such a good girl. 鈾 Phew

1 - 12 of 12 Posts