Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was looking at a website that sells bird toy parts and was wondering what is the best rope to get for building toys with? This is the rope they sell...

Seagrass Rope
Hemp Rope
Coconut Rope (very cheap)
Paulie Rope(polyethylene plastic cord)
Round Leather Lace

I bought some sisal twine but it has a lot of frayed sections along the twine. I worry about Pip getting his foot caught in it but I guess if it is in a toy it might not matter.. idk

·
Administrator
5,147 Posts
I prefer seagrass or hemp rope. Mainly I want natural fibers in toys so poly ropes, materials I try to stay away from.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They had a paper rope too that I seen after posting this. I ended up not buying any rope with my order because Pip has plenty of toys for now.

He does seem partial to the natural fiber toys anyway he likes to chew/destroy them. He has some hard plastic toys that will likely never be destroyed and is why I bought them. They make noises though and he likes to rattle them and ring the bells but the chew toys are his favorite at the moment for sure. He does not like wood that much so far but loves the weaved vine kind of toys.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I use cooking twine, idk if it's cheaper than what was available, but it works well and you can get a big cone of it that will last you ages. It might be cheaper? Worth checking, at least.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm way late here, but I had this same question recently and simply took a gamble. I made a diy bird orbiter and chose seagrass rope (coil). Luna loves it!!! That said, she has started nibbling on it even though I have chewable toys hanging down the center, so I'm not sure how long it will hold up. But the seagrass was easy enough to wrap around the hoops, slightly stiff but not a big deal, and it matches her natural branch play gym thing (the orbiter is hanging over the gym). I like it as much as she does! She's able to grip onto it easily too. But once she destroys it enough I will most likely re-wrap using twisted 100% cotton rope because the wrapping took a couple hours and I'd rather not do it over and over :)

-NG

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
Don't forget yarn! You can make a tight roll of yarn and stick treats inside the yarn. ( Just stick it in-between the rows) . Let a small part of the seed stick out. You can hang a ball of yarn full of treats from the top of the cage and let it swing . ;)

Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
That is why cotton ropes are perfect for puppies: it is impossible to scratch on them, since the material is very soft. And for older dogs, you can use cheaper material: jute rope. They will struggle with jute for a long time, but soon they will "catch the enemy". If you use ropes made of artificial materials, then many may be confused by the presence of a smell or paint. so I strongly recommend you, based on your own experience, that you should buy a Double Tennis Ball Dog Toy for your pet! This will definitely be a great solution for everyone!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts