Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

Road trip advice needed.

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Miss Mary 
#1 ·
I am getting ready to take Kai on his first 3 hour road trip from NY to PA and am getting confused and have some concerns about gassing up and the drinking water in PA. I never did all the reading etc with my canary that I’ve been doing with Kai so I never worried about traveling with him. Mango was a fantastic traveler and sang his heart out during many of our trips back and forth to PA. I never worried about gassing up with him in the car and I never used bottled water when we got to our destination. As with Mango, Kai will never be left in a hot or cold car and already has the same cage setup in PA as NY. With the exception of the water food etc will all be the same. I guess what I really need to know is do I need to get bottled water for him while in PA and what about gassing up with him in the car?All advice is appreciated but would especially like to hear from anyone who travels with their Parrotlets.

#2 ·
We are taking our regular 12 hour trip next week. Jules will be getting ice for her water. It melts nicely and she loves the coldness of it.

#4 ·
There is benzene in gasoline. This is what you smell when gassing up.
When gassing up, keep doors and windows closed. When you finish gassing up, etc., make sure that you do not stand beside your car with the door open for very long. Get in and out as fast as you can! Take non flavored bottle water with you. Better yet, put the water you regularly give Kai in an empty bottled water container.

At first, it may be wise to put a towel on the side of the cage that faces outwards towards traffic lanes, so passing big trucks won't startle Kai. Have a nice trip! Kai will love it. Sing to him, etc. This is s great time to teach him new words, etc., since you will be in close quarters with Kai.

David and Ricochet:cool:;)

#7 ·
A large towel or other way to cover the cage is a must. There will be times that you will need to cover to keep light out or movement down. If something gets scary for your bird them cover up.

#5 ·
We travel regularly with Huey. When we get gas I leave him in the car.

I bring water from home in a travel mug, or I give him bottled water if we will be gone longer than 2 days.

I dont use ice because Huey for some odd reason loves to bathe in his travel water dish and we get a good soaking--- he stays dry lol.

#9 ·
One long term thing. I have incorporated Jules travel cage into our daily life. First in play then in her daily routine. It is kept in our living room with food and water. She uses it daily. She sleeps in it at times. This makes the cage her home. When we travel she is in her cage. One she is used to as hers. Thus when in a hotel room or new condo she recognizes her cage and goes to it for food, sleep, safety. Makes travel a bit easier on her.

#11 ·
Hi all. So sorry it took so long for me to let you know how Kai did on his first road trip. I am delighted to say that he did just great. I kept his travel cage on my lap most of the trip and did scratches with him through the bar. He loved it. Since I don’t give Kai much seeds I treated him to a nice amount in a small dish at the bottom of his cage. He enjoyed that. Since there was a cage identical to his already set up at the house he was right at home. We made one gas up on the way back and my hubby let me out of the car with Kai. I walked over to the McDonalds across the way and waited there while my hubby gassed up. While everything went well with Kai unfortunately my pup (12yrs) was not acting herself and the night before we were planning to head for home had stopped eating. We ended up leaving earlier so I could take her to her Dr. Sadly test showed her kidneys starting to fail. She was very sick but with the IV treatments and meds that I give her everyday she is doing much better. Thus the main reason I have not been in the forum. Poor Kai has definitely been feeling neglected but I am slowly getting back to giving him the attention he once had. He is still sweet and very lovable. Please send prayers and positive energy our way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.