Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So an interesting thing about Rio. It seems that he has a blueish tint to his feet. Sometimes it seems more distinctive than others. Is this a common trait to yellows?

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
My American white pied male also has blueish feet. I suspect that it has to do with being a pied mutation, which you can tell because he has clear colored toe nails in the photo.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Jackie's on to something....I remember reading somewhere about off colored feet in some mutations. It is natural. What I do understand is that if your p'letts feet or legs are red or reddish/purplish, have the p'lett checked out for circulation related issues. This was the first sign I had when Bogie first started to get ill. His legs and feet turned slightly reddish/purplish. This put me on alert!

David;)

·
Registered
856 Posts
You think that they would come up with a better word to describe them than mutations. It does not sound very complimentary. Mutations sounds like something out of a mad scientist's laboratory.

·
Super Moderator
5,044 Posts
Tumi's feet are more pinkish, but he does have darker nails. So if you flip the colors on Rio's feet (toes verses nails), you get Tumi's feet. You can see in the picture of him I am attaching (he is also demonstrating in that photo how to make a messy beak)!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Black toenails are normal and what all the parrotlets have in the wild. The clear nails came when they were breed for color mutations.

·
Super Moderator
4,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a chance to get a better look. It is like his toe nails are clear. you can see where the flesh starts. It is odd.

·
Super Moderator
5,044 Posts
Before I got Tumi, I had a lutino cockatiel and she had clear nails (I think all lutino cockatiels do). It is odd to me that Tumi and Rio have different color nails and feet, though, because they otherwise are twins!

·
Super Moderator
4,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The blueness in his feet seems more distinctive at some times than others. It may be a factor of lighting but I have been wondering if what I am seeing is more of a translucent nature of his skin and the blueness a factor of him regulating his body temperature via blood flow in his feet.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
They might change colors as he ages. Maybe you can call the breeder and ask about the feet or maybe call a vet. I know there are some parrotlets that have the gray/blue feet like the blue winged and the mexican parrotlet.. idk

I see some online breeders selling what they say are 100% import newborn parrotlets so they might be importing in new ones now.

·
Super Moderator
4,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Went back to breeder first thing. She has not seen this before but this is her first male yellow parrotlet. All her previous were yellow parrotlets. She noted the issue early on and it seems consistent.

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
Black toenails are normal and what all the parrotlets have in the wild. The clear nails came when they were breed for color mutations.

Mutations occur in nature as well, even before people were breeding them. Often though the birds with the mutations did not live as long as the other birds since they were most visible to predators.

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
I see some online breeders selling what they say are 100% import newborn parrotlets so they might be importing in new ones now.

Importing parrotlets is a very time consuming and expensive process. Only mutations are allowed to be imported. As a result, only a small number of reputable breeders have done this.

Are those advertisements referring to the babies of imported birds as "100% imported newborn babies"? If so, that is inaccurate advertising since the babies are not imported and that breeder(s) should be avoided.

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
Went back to breeder first thing. She has not seen this before but this is her first male yellow parrotlet. All her previous were yellow parrotlets. She noted the issue early on and it seems consistent.

The American white pied male I have - his feet are now less blueish than when he was younger.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Importing parrotlets is a very time consuming and expensive process. Only mutations are allowed to be imported. As a result, only a small number of reputable breeders have done this.

Are those advertisements referring to the babies of imported birds as "100% imported newborn babies"? If so, that is inaccurate advertising since the babies are not imported and that breeder(s) should be avoided.

My guess is they are the babies of a pair of imorted birds. If you put the word loves and parrotlet togeting on google you would probably find it but we are not allowed to link breeders.. iirc

·
Super Moderator
4,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The American white pied male I have - his feet are now less blueish than when he was younger.
That makes some sense. I have seen pictures of Rio's mother. Her feet do not look to be as blue and his.

·
Super Moderator
6,601 Posts
wow this is interesting! I have never seen this or heard of the blue feet. All my parrotlet have been pied or american so I've never had any with dark toenails. When i see the dark nails it looks funny to me even though i know its normal LOL

·
Super Moderator
4,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also since we are discussing Rio's feet. The wife and I have noticed they seem a lot bigger than Jules. I suspect he will grow into them which means he is going to be of one of the bigger blood lines. He is currently at 27 grams at 10 weeks.

In addition he is very much more feet oriented than Jules. He seems to be into foot toys and grabbing things with his more. This is such an interesting experience having a baby bird that has a blank slate to start with. He is fear less than our rescues, doing things in days or minutes that it took us month to get Jules or Bo to do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts