Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed that my rice cooker has a Teflon coating. It makes me feel very bad because I used it for 3 months and my parrotlet girl was happily munching away my rice cooker meals! Now that I know I wonder what rice cookers are safe? Can you recommend a Teflon free rice cooker?

· Super Moderator
3,905 Posts
Unfortunately, I don’t know of any myself. I think it’s ok if it doesn’t overheat, which is the real issue. Keeping your bird out of the room while it’s being used and running the vent fan or having the window open will also help to keep your little guy safe. I get wanting a different one though. It’s definitely healthier for both of you.

· Administrator
5,428 Posts
Modern Telfon is usually not an issue with modern appliances that have low heat settings. It was a big issue back in the 1990s 2000s but my understanding is the new coating do not gas out until a much higher point nowadays. So most modern ovens and pans are ok if used correctly but become a problem if you burn up a pan or use the self cleaning mode on an oven where the temperatures would cause a gas out. I suspect that your cooker is not really an issue if it is a modern appliance and temperatures are just down to boiling water (212 degrees)
Teflon toxicosis is extremely fatal to birds. If you used this product and the gas outing was happening your birds would already be dead. Since they are not then you dodged a bullet are safe for the moment as long as the appliance operates as expected and does not overheat.

This is an old article when we were still sorting out the issue.

This is the current recommendations from the Teflon manufacturers.

Teflon (Polytetrafluoroethylene) Poisoning in Birds | VCA Animal Hospital

Reactions: Flora and Anya

· Administrator
5,428 Posts
If it were me, (being my usual cautious self when it comes to my birdie), would toss or give away the old one and get a ceramic one.
We tend to use as little Teflon as we can get away with. Main reason is that it is a coating and outside the bird aspect it does degrade and you end up eating that stuff as it scrapes on pans and stuff. Can't be good for anything.

· Registered
9 Posts
I just cook rice in a regular stainless steel 2 quart sauce pan and it cooks very nice. If a little sticks to the bottom I just soak it in the sink with some dish soap and then use a steel wool scrubbing pad to clear away any sticky rice residue. A box of steel wool pads is not expensive, and I’d rather spend a minute or two washing a sticky rice mess than to take a chance on my birds lives. But I’ve been told by my sister who lives next door, and whose kitchen shares a wall with mine, that I’m a “control freak” when it comes to my birds health after she burnt my pan that I loaned her, handed it back to me laughing about how she forgot to put cooking oil in it to pop popcorn, then told me she didn’t need it anymore because she “just went out and bought a Teflon one,” and informed me it’s “Teflon isn’t toxic not toxic unless you burn it.” So in conclusion I’m moving.

· Registered
57 Posts
I use any old Super Health cast aluminum saucepan or a stainless steel pot with a tight fitting lid. If it's a 2:1 ratio rice. I just put the one part dry rice and two parts water in the pot, bring to a boil on medium high, then turn down to a low simmer for 20 minutes (more or less) Remove from heat, fluff with fork. Doesn't stick, perfectly done. Even works with a can of coconut milk instead of water. And save some rice for your parrotlet!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts