Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told by the breeder and have also read Parrotlets do not like change; therefore, we should change his cage placement and toys every two-three weeks. Why? If they don't like change? We have only had Oliver for a few weeks and changed everything for the first time the other day. He did not like it and was rather naughty after we did this :mad: . What is the logic in this? If he is happy where he is and likes the toys he has, why is it so important to change everything periodically?

Still haven't had much luck with bathing him, but will keep trying to see which suggestion I have received works.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Paula,

Although they may not like change, getting them used to change may be helpful in the long run. Ours have become more tollerant of it over the years.

It also makes them less territorial about their cage.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
514 Posts
The reason I have been told is that they need lots of stimulation. Changing out their toys gives them new things to do. I would say, however, don't change out his favorite toy, or he will be MAD! Bitsy has one favorite toy- which he sleeps next to at night - no way would I move it!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
even of someone is a breeder, they may not be an expert. parrots see new things in the wild every day. if a companion parrot "doesn't like change" it is because they were not socialized properly and became phobic to change because they got too little.

as their "parronts", it is up to us to show them that not all change is bad. the little p'let i cared for last week LOVED all the new toys i brought him, right away!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Buuzbee,

did you ever take one out and take him/her to another room? The calling back and forth gets quite LOUD :D .

Sparky is MeMe's favorite chew toy :rolleyes: , she loves pulling out his feathers...:mad:

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I let mine fly around the house and they often stop in different rooms - what drama...:rolleyes:

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I swap at least one toy every week from Nemo's cage. I believe this keeps him stimulated and entertained, especially for times when I'm not home.

Once in a while, I do a complete cage turn-around. Well, except for his hamster wheel -- that thing always stays where it is because he loves it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Awesome cheap toy

I like to put a rice cake in my parrotlets cage once a week (I place it in a cuttlebone clip). He LOVES to shred it to bits, and then later he eats some. He gets all excited when he sees them - good safe fun. It does make a bit of a mess, but totally worth it to see him having a blast.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I agree, breeders don't always know everything just because they breed. I am an expert on MY Parrotlet for sure, ha. She LOVES to have things change. BUT I keep her fav. toys the way they are. I can just tell what she wants left alone. I have a very good bond with Chipper.

The place I do most of the change is with her play gyms! We just added another whole Tinkertoys set to the Tinkertoy gym. WOW, so neat. She had to learn all about the new places and that is very good for her. Keep them learning! I will take photos of it tomorrow.

They really do well with change I think. The really bad thing for them I think I boredom.

·
Registered
78 Posts
buuzbee, I would just go with plain if you give them. The flavored ones won't be too good for them.

Another great shredding/ tear apart and have fun thing is loofah. I can try to find a link to a site that has some to show you all. My parrotlets LOVE the stuff. They love ripping it apart and making dust out of it (literally). When i put a new piece in, I always find mini dust piles under it at the bottom of the cage. It's looks like a natural sponge, except round and about the size of a cucumber around, and has holes going thru the middle (imagine taking the seeds out of a cucumber). The natural ones are perfectly fine for birds, but make sure their natural and haven't been treated!

·
Registered
536 Posts
I like to put a rice cake in my parrotlets cage once a week (I place it in a cuttlebone clip). He LOVES to shred it to bits, and then later he eats some. He gets all excited when he sees them - good safe fun. It does make a bit of a mess, but totally worth it to see him having a blast.
I tried to find plain old unflavored rice cakes here and had no luck. They either had salt or sugar added to them. What brand do you use...just curious. Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts