Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I've decided it might just be best to rehouse P or give him to a bird sanctuary near me. (suggestions or advice on this?)
* P is 3 1/2 years old and I can't get him under control. I've tried techniques to help his regurgitation problem but nothing is working. I cant even pet his head or LOOK at him without him throwing up on me.
*I left for New York with my partner last week and left him with my dad. My dad said he's quiet and calm when I'm not there, and although my dad can't play with him or hold him (P's very aggressive towards everyone) he was a much more tame and calm bird.
*My partner thinks it's time to relocate him because we can't handle the screaming/ biting anymore. He won't even eat out of my hand anymore :( he just bites my fingers.

Is it a good idea to relocate him? Or could he mellow out in the next few years? Any advice helps, I apologize for the long and sort of confusing post I just feel distraught. I want what is best for my bird, even if that means relocation.

·
Super Moderator
6,601 Posts
Can you be more detailed about what you have tried? How much time do you spend with him each day? How much sleep is he getting? Do you have other humans in the house that could try to socialize with him so he's not as obsessed with only you?
Where are you located?
I'm sorry your so frustrated. :(

·
Registered
254 Posts
The constant regurgitation is strange, it's possible that you're unknowingly giving him a lot of hormonal stimulants. Less than 12 hours of sleep, petting on the stomach and back, "nesting" areas like happy huts, warm and mush food, and other things are potential hormonal stimulants that can result in aggressive behavior and regurgitation.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He gets more than 12 hours a day, I put him to bed at 7 and don't get him up until after 8. He only gets head pets (he regurgitates when I pet him there too) and the only foods he gets are grain blends and fresh veggies. I used to socialize with him a lot, but now every time I get him out he regurgitates and flies around the house trying to attack my partner. He doesn't act differently with wings clipped.
As far as biting goes, he bites everyone (including me) and will attack anything near me (pens, pencils, bags, backpack, etc). I tried the gentlebeak technique and it never worked. He's not very independent, he has to constantly be on me. He's not happy to sit on a perch next to me. If I'm not in the room with him, he screams until I appear. It will go on all day. If I pick up an object near him, he flies at me and will rip apart my fingers and the object.
I live sort of out in the country and I own many many ducks. P spends many hours a day outside as well, I'll put him in a small cage outside on my patio and he likes to talk to the ducks, but when they get too close he'll try and attack them through the bars of his cage.
He used to be trained, he knows many words and phrases, but about a year and a half ago he started biting my hands when I would hand feed him. This sort of behavior happened sort of out of blue and now he refuses to do tricks or be on a perch.
I'm very sorry for long text, I hope all this may give some insight :(

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
All I can add is feeling the frustration you have, you may have to re-home him. Soooo sorry to read this, but clearly it is not a good situation.

I assume he was taken to a vet, and in good health. I give you credit for working with him to make him feel happy.

Ollie is 4,and the time when he is cuddly with me is towards evening. He does much of what you describe. He tells me by sometimes biting my face while on my shoulder, that he is hungry or wants to go back to his cage. It can be a challenge. He calls me during the day, but when he is quiet I get him out. Otherwise, I talk to him while he is in his cage gently. If he really wants out, I will open the cage door. Down he comes to explore or to be with me. My husband has no interest, so I am the only one working with him. I taught him gentle beak, but my breeder told me to show him you are boss by doing this :

Take him in a towel, turn him upside down leave one eye open, and tell him "gentle beak" several times. Out of desperation, see if you can break the biting habit. The message will work for both of you, hopefully.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the responses and suggestions. I have found a wonderful sanctuary not far from my home and they said they would take him in. I truly feel it is in P's best interest. I have faith that he will be happier and will enjoy life more when he's not so concentrated on me. Again, thank you so much for all the help these past few months :)

·
Super Moderator
6,601 Posts
Thank you for the responses and suggestions. I have found a wonderful sanctuary not far from my home and they said they would take him in. I truly feel it is in P's best interest. I have faith that he will be happier and will enjoy life more when he's not so concentrated on me. Again, thank you so much for all the help these past few months :)
I hope he finds a lovely home.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts