Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

When summer comes it is pretty hard to find kale, broccoli and collard greens. I still can find broccoli but they are super wilted. I wouldn't even eat them, so I would never feed my bird with it. But I want him to get nutritions from dark greens and vegetables. So I recently found what is called red kale or scarlet kale. But I couldn't find any information if they are safe or not. I added a picture of what it looks like down below and wanted to ask if anyone knows about them. Also, Pastel says hello to you!

·
Super Moderator
5,100 Posts
He is so cute! That looks like kale to me, and leafy greens like that are always good. It sounds like just a subtype of kale (like there are different types of apples), and kale is a very healthy food. The way the leaf looks is what my grocery store sells as kale and what I feed Tumi sometimes. I have never heard of a non-safe type of kale, and I would confidently feed that to my bird.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Hi! Kale is great! ( If Pastel will eat it). The variety of kale you have in the pic is Red " Dragon " Kale. ( Grown mostly in North Carolina ). The leaves are wrinkled on the ends. In Florida, we have it all year around, as we do broccoli.
Maybe you can make a good chop for your bird. You can freeze chop and have plenty for the future.

Hard boiled eggs are good. Green pepper seeds pods are great! Split open a green bell pepper and let Pastel eat all he want inside the pepper! Pop corn is a good treat. Make it plain and NO salt! Make a bowl and put Pastel in it and watch!

Wilted broccoli is not harmful, unless it is molded ( black spots ). Cut the ends of the floret ( seeds) and sprinkle on top of your bird food. Once you cut the ends, it will look like many small florets .( no stalk). You can freeze broccoli in a sealed bag! A deep freezer is best, but any will do. Thaw out a little bit each time...you do not have to blanch it first before freezing.

Good luck!

Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts