Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Hello Miss Parrot,
I have two parrotlets and they live in this cage:
Amazon

This cage is very good, except I'd prefer it to have 1cm distance then 1.5cm, but it's the best option I could find where I live. Maybe you'll find smth better where you live.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Miss Parrot,
I have two parrotlets and they live in this cage:
Amazon

This cage is very good, except I'd prefer it to have 1cm distance then 1.5cm, but it's the best option I could find where I live. Maybe you'll find smth better where you live.
Hi Olka_mk!
Thank you so much for taking your time to reply, I really appreciate it. :)

Unfortunately I believe that cage is no available where I live. :(

And the site is in German, which I do not speak. Again, thank you so much for your reply. :)

Miss Parrot

Registered
Hoi
It鈥檚 not actually recommended to have two parrotlets in the same cage, fights can happen when you鈥檙e not around, like dwarf hamsters, they鈥檙e ok together, but you can watch them 24/7 to make sure they aren鈥檛 fighting. Unless it鈥檚 a case with kiwi and avocado were they are a bonded pair with separation anxiety.
But 3鈥橪x2鈥橦x2鈥橶 is a good size 馃檭

Super Moderator
Cages depend on several factors. How much of out cage time would be one. My guys were out all the time so I went with 2 smaller 18 tall x 18 deep x 36 wide cages. mainly they were for sleep and when they had to be alone because we left. With the recent pandemic we were both working from home that was not much. We wanted small enough to move will big enough to give them some room to run in if they wanted with 1/2 inch bar spacing.

Reactions: Miss Parrot

Registered
Are they a bonded pair? I would not suggest putting 2 together if they鈥檙e not bonded. They could fight and as cute as they are there has been times where one will actually kill the other. I suggest starting with 2 separate cages side by side and eventually see if they will bond. Good luck to you

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It鈥檚 not actually recommended to have two parrotlets in the same cage, fights can happen when you鈥檙e not around, like dwarf hamsters, they鈥檙e ok together, but you can watch them 24/7 to make sure they aren鈥檛 fighting. Unless it鈥檚 a case with kiwi and avocado were they are a bonded pair with separation anxiety.
But 3鈥橪x2鈥橦x2鈥橶 is a good size 馃檭
Cages depend on several factors. How much of out cage time would be one. My guys were out all the time so I went with 2 smaller 18 tall x 18 deep x 36 wide cages. mainly they were for sleep and when they had to be alone because we left. With the recent pandemic we were both working from home that was not much. We wanted small enough to move will big enough to give them some room to run in if they wanted with 1/2 inch bar spacing.
Are they a bonded pair? I would not suggest putting 2 together if they鈥檙e not bonded. They could fight and as cute as they are there has been times where one will actually kill the other. I suggest starting with 2 separate cages side by side and eventually see if they will bond. Good luck to you
Hello, I do not have a bird yet, and I have previously been told that parrotlets are social, f they fight, does that mean I only need one, I'm a little confused, thank you!

Super Moderator
Hello, I do not have a bird yet, and I have previously been told that parrotlets are social, f they fight, does that mean I only need one, I'm a little confused, thank you!
Parrotlets do great as single companion birds so most that have owned one will tell you just to get one bird if that is what you are after. Parrotlets are aggressive, territorial and social by nature. In the wild that means loose flocking structure with plenty of room between individuals or pairs and room to run from aggressiveness and territory issues. In captivity that means parrotlets do very well as individual companion birds but if you feel it is necessary to have more than one you need to let them have plenty of room, watch for aggression and may need separate cage and play time. If you are just getting into this I strongly suggest getting one bird and let them be social with you. You will most likely be happier with that result.

Registered
Hello! I was thinking about potential cages for two parrotlets. Do you have any recommendations?

Thank you! :) 馃惁
Hello Miss parrot. My best recommendation is to order from Kings cages. Save your self the hassle of cheap pet store cages. I learned the hard way this summer when I got my bird.I ordered a flight cage from them. My best advice is whatever you do, bars should have half inch spacing. They can get their head through five eights. On Kings cages, the powder coating is strong and lead free, my cage has horizontal bar spacing which is what you want for a Parrotlet because they run all over the bars. And depending on the age of your bird and if he is clipped or not, go for width, not height. I ordered the very largest cage I could afford. He can fly almost 3 feet from one side to the other. He absolutely loves it! This is a bird that would much rather be out with me than in a cage. He is only in there when I am gone a few hours a day. He has a different smaller travel cage for sleep. I had to return three cages this summer before I called Kings. I recommend them hands-down! Super helpful!!!!!!

Registered
Hi....If you haven't had a parrotlet before, I suggest that you only get one. He/she will be a challenge and a one-on-one relationship will be the most gratifying thing. Two plett's will bond with each other and most likely not you ( if they are compatible to each other). As far as the cage goes, OZZIE has the right suggestion about how large a cage you should get. 18 inch tall by 18 inch deep by 36 inches wide (long). This cage is inexpensive. P'letts need space in width, not height. They are parrots and they love to fly, fly, fly! If you remove your parrotlet from his cage quite often each and every day, then it will get its flying lessons.They are amazing flyers! They are fast! Make sure all mirrors, windows, China hutches, ceiling fans, etc., are covered. One good hit and they can and will die. If you have a fireplace and use it....Watch out!!!

The weather is too cold to have a parrotlet sent to you. Wait until Spring when you will have a choice of new babies! Not leftovers or returns!
Dave

Registered
I just got mine in June, and I COMPLETELY agree with Dave! He is a wealth of knowledge, btw. As far as cage鈥.yes! They love to fly. I made a HUGE mistake getting one that was taller than wide. Scary for babies, and cramped for a skilled flier. I now have a 30 x 22 x 32 (wide). He loves it! And a separate sleep cage, which I let him explore in daytime so it wouldn鈥檛 be as scary in the sark, Another thing to keep in mind, bar spacing. Up to 1/2 inch. They CAN and WILL our heads/necks through 5/8. It can kill them. Horizontal bars if possible. These little guys love love love to climb all over the cage. DAVE and OZZY give excellent advice! Also Instagram @the_green_bird_brigade
I also second Dave鈥檚 comment, it is way too cold for them to travel this time of year. I would absolutely wait until late spring! A reputable breeder will be able to steer you in the right direction as far as timing.
Good luck to you! Due to their intelligence, they can be time consuming and challenging but that is what makes them such amazing little pets! Best decision I ever made!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts