Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My parrotlets spend a lot of time on their playground, which is a platform about 36" off the ground. I have used a cut up T shirt or towel in the past to make a rope for them to climb back up when, as often happens, they fly to the ground due to a spat or being startled. My blue parrotlet, Twisker, has no trouble with anything I use as a rope. However my turquoise parrotlet, Skittles, does not have the strength or coordination that I am used to seeing from natural colored or blue mutation parrotlets. I assume this is due to inbreeding. He struggles to climb these ropes and often gives up and flies off before he gets to the top. As a result he misses a lot of exercise (Twisker will often climb up and down the rope for fun) and I have to rescue Skittles when he flies down. I think this is contributing to him being a little plump.

I would like to attach something to the playground that Skittles can climb. He has no problem with the bars in his cage and hangs off them by the hour, since he can wrap his feet completely around them, but these towel or T shirt cut strip ropes are just too difficult for him for some reason. One thing I am considering is using some sort of shoelaces since maybe the smaller diameter would help him grasp them. I have looked online for some bird ladders but they seem meant for bigger birds and often use widely spaced pieces of thick round wood for steps which Skittles would not be able to use to pull himself up with his little beak. I have seen some net type ones but again they seem made for bigger birds and I wonder if Skittles could even reach the next spot while gripping the previous one.

Curious if anyone has a product recommendation for something I could use as a rope or ladder or net. It would have to be able to reach the ground from the playground so it would have to be about 3 feet long. I may give the shoelace idea a try but it might be more fun for both of them to have something like a ladder or net if I could find one with the right spacing and material.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,706 Posts
Hi there! I know what you mean about the ladders all being those thicker round rungs that they can’t really grip to climb up. They’re only good if they’re on an angle so they can walk up them. I have never seen a rope ladder although I have seen those rope mats. You could always try making one with some twine if you’re more creatively inclined than me. 🤦🏻‍♀️

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Last night I found this, which might do the trick, on Amazon

Bird Seagrass Mat,Natural Grass Woven Net Hammock Hanging on Parrot Cage with 4 Hooks,Parakeet Climbing Rope Ladder Chew Toys for Lovebird Cockatiel Conure Budgie,Cockatoo Supplies 28.3" x 6.7"

It looks like they should be able to climb up it as well as chew it. I ordered one and am going to try it. It's wider than I need but not enormously wide, I may try cutting it in half lengthwise so it is 28" by 3", so effectively I have two of them in case they really chew up the first one.

·
Super Moderator
3,706 Posts
I had a seagrass mat for Kiwi and she never used it. Too bad. Your birds seem to already enjoy climbing in things other than the cage bars so hopefully this will work well. Good job finding something! It isn’t easy.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Last night I found this, which might do the trick, on Amazon

Bird Seagrass Mat,Natural Grass Woven Net Hammock Hanging on Parrot Cage with 4 Hooks,Parakeet Climbing Rope Ladder Chew Toys for Lovebird Cockatiel Conure Budgie,Cockatoo Supplies 28.3" x 6.7"
I have seen those seagrass mats online. I am glad you found something that will work for you. My Cleopatra had a small one that she chewed up. Pugsley just climbs and sits on his (so far). I thought of this ladder bridge for you - It would be easier for your bird to climb on. You could tie a couple or so together to make them longer, if you liked. I have had one for each of my birds and they both love them.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
It is a good scale for small birds, Pugsley has no problem using it - but if Skittles has special needs, he may need something smaller. If I come across anything else, I will post it for you. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts