Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all. Right after I got Froot Loop out today, he was on my hand. I went to set him on a perch by my computer, and he didnt like it, so he flew back to his cage....when he did, I looked down, and there was blood on my arm. :eek: I thought he had bitten me, but I didn't remember being bitten (I think i would have), and I have no open wounds. So I'm guessing it came from him. I thought maybe he had a cut, so i checked him, and he doesn't. So I think he must have pooped out the blood (it was completely blood though, no poop) when he flew away. (Because he often poops as he flies off). Then i checked his cage, and his water is red....he often poops in his water. So I'm really freaked out. is this in any way normal, or should i take him to the vet right now??? I appreciate any quick response! thank you, krista

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He did not eat any food today other than his normal seed diet (he didn't have any strawberries or anything); it was definitely blood, no doubt about it, but i think he regurgitated it, b/c his poops shortly after that were normal. I noticed that he ate a good amount of plastic off of his food bag (apparently when i covered him last night, the food bag was pushed against his cage.) I brought him to the vet, they kept me there forever, and then charged me $90 to tell me they couldn't find anything wrong. Tried to tell me it was probably a blood feather, and they just couldn't find where it had bled from. (Are you kidding me?!?....no way a blood feather could produce the amount of blood that was there, and also no way he would bleed that badly and then have no evidence whatsoever on his body of having bled.) I am very unhappy, but I guess he is okay. (I guess.) they told me to just take him home and watch him.....but i still say it isn't normal for such a small bird to bleed that much. Thanks for your concern andrea. Talk to y'all later

·
Registered
486 Posts
Slippery Elm and Aloe are both healing to the digestive tract. Maybe he'd like to nibble on one of them... just in case there's an injury in there somewhere.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Kathy, I've been following this thread with interest. I can tell you from personal experience that Bitsy is NASTY when he doesn't get enough sleep. In our experience, it didn't work for it to be covered sleep in a room that people passed through. We finally worked out - for him - he sleeps covered in a large closet - 12 to 13 hours. If for any reason he's short changed on sleep, WE pay by getting bitten and by his screaming.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts