Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My baby, Jellybean, has experienced some crazy beak growth. The first pic (in the coconut) was in August. The other picture was today (2/18/18). She has lots of toys, a cuttlebone, rough perches, etc. She seems to be eating ok, but I’m starting to worry now that I’ve compared pictures at can see that I’m not imagining things. Advice?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,833 Posts
Yup, you may have an issue. Have a good avian vet have a look to see if there is a health reason. Jellybean may need his beak reshaped. Make sure this is done by somebody that knows what they are doing.
Check his diet and toys. Make sure there are hard items that help with keepin beaks in shape.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Hi. Ozzie3860 is spot on with the advice. Bogie does this every once in a while and I discovered that he needed toys or playthings that he could chew up into pieces.

Is the cuttlebone being used...a lot" Is the beak flaking?

What I did was that I went to a craft store and purchased some balsa wood. This wood comes in various sizes, so I bought pieces that were as thick as a tongue depressor and shaped like a tongue depressor. Make sure it is balsa, not pine!

I took these pieces and made an 8 inch lattice and hung this lattice on the inside of Bogie's cage, next to a perch where he could chew it all up! I glued the pieces together with the some edible white paste school glue that elementary school students use. This glue will not hurt your Jellybean.

Also, you could take an old paperback book that you do not want anymore and hang it opened in the cage.Attach the binding to the bars. Jelly will love to shred it all up...or not:confused:. It is worth a shot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice—much appreciated! I have a lot of beak-grinding objects in her cage, but I rearranged last night to hopefully get them all closer to her favorite spots in the cage. Also ordered a new one on Amazon to prompt play and chewing. Will definitely try the paperback book idea also as she would love that!
Kathi

1 - 5 of 5 Posts