Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put Oscar and Maya together for the first time. They are on their playstand. Oscar is preening her.

But, hes preening all around her face, and VERY close to her eyes. It looks like he is trying to bite her eye. If he was hurting her, would she move away?

Shes just sitting there letting him do it. Does that mean he's not hurting her??

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not yet. Remember Oscar's were clipped a while back, but I wanted to let them grow?

Well they are still growing. He used to be able to just hop.

Now, If hes on my arm, up high, then flies he can keep his height for a few seconds.

But if he's on the ground, he will just hop.

Maya's wings are clipped because the breeder clipped them, and they still haven't grown back in.

Do parrotlets feathers grow much slower than other birds??

Btw, they were on the playstand which is on the edge of my desk, so they could have easily escaped, and hopped down, because Oscar did it once.

When I was at the bird show I found like the first person that ive talked to in person that doesn't believe in clipping wings. She says "Its like cutting of a person's legs, so you can control where they move, and not be free."

Ahhh, so good! :D:D

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I feel the same. We need to walk and they need to fly. It is just that some people can't make it safe enough. Safety has to come first. I love Chipper to fly. Good physically and mentally.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Agreed!

If they were hurting, they'd yell, move away, or make a fuss. Sounds like they're just preening... but in a sensitive spot. Doesn't appear aggressive to me, but what do I know... :eek:

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL. I have been letting them play together on the playstand. Then yesterday, I put Maya in Oscar's cage, to see what happens.

Well, first they preened, and then she explored, and they played with toys.

But:

Oscar has his little twisty rope thing.
He sleeps on that rope thing. That is his domane. He shares everything, except that. Once Maya tried to step foot on it, he comes running over full speed and started quarelling. He obviously is not going to share that thing anytime soon. But other than that, they are doing pretty good. I let her play with him in his cage while im in the room. And if I go out, I take them and the playstand to the family room. Then at night, and while i'm gone, she goes back to her cage.

I think this is going to work out for the best! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts