Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know all about lighting. What kind of lighting is used for birds. What benefits does it provide for your birds? Is lighting really necessary?

·
Super Moderator
4,777 Posts
I use two different lights from my guys.
First I have changed most the bulbs in the house out to Daly Light bulbs. This has to do with color temperature of the lights. Daylight are around 4600K and range up to 6500K. I typically use around 5000K. Our little ones are from around the equator and evolved for a very high light environment. They see best in this temp range. The reason I did this is I noticed that Jules and Bo were bumping into things while flying. When I went to this light range they saw better for flying and seemed happier. The yellow bulbs we tend to use in our homes is in the 3000K range which make what they see more like what we see in a cave entrance. Also I am getting older and like many older people are starting to have eye issues. Once we went to this range for the birds we noticed we saw better and felt better around the house. Especially during winter.

The second light is over the cage. These are called avian lights and are both natural daylight bulbs and have UVA and UVB aspect to them. This gives them a bit of high spectrum lights that help them process some vitamins and other things. They do not need much of it and if you can take them outside to natural daylight once or twice a week then you do not need it. If not then these help. It may not be a big deal in young birds but it definitely helped with my older guys. Sun light from a window does not get you there since most windows are designed to filter out the very light spectrums we are trying to get.

Below is the bulb I use. I have it on a table lamp that goes above the cage. I keep it about 18 inches above Rio's highest perch and leave it on for about 4 hours a day.

·
Registered
461 Posts
We have Philips hue lights that are adjustable and we have them set on a timer - at bedtime they dim down for sleepy time for Monty before he goes to his room, and during the day they are set at a "day light" which is much brighter and "whiter" than a regular incandescent bulb. I much prefer the bright white and Monty likes them too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts