Registered
Hoi
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
some things got me thinking stuff;

• Can Birds have ASD and/or ADHD?
  • Can birds have Downs Sydrome?
  • can birds have OCD?
  • Has there ever been a case were wings have to be amputated/removed? What about feet?
  • What's the worst disease a bird can get?
  • What's the most common disease (other than URIs) birds can get?
  • Would you consiter a special needs bird more important than a non-SN bird? Would you love one more?
  • Most common disorders in birds?
for parrots/captive birds

I am very much not trying to offend anyone, or be biased. I'm very sorry if this post does come out as rude, offensive, biased, hurtful, etc., to anyone.

·
Super Moderator
4,833 Posts
Some of this would depend on if we are talking about captive or wild birds. In the wild they do not see as much because it is harder to study and frankly in the wild if a bird is not both in good shape and a bit lucky they are dead.

Captive I have run across flightless birds because of injury and feetless / toe less birds because of bird defects or fights. Because of CITIES a lot of the smaller bird (or any) populations were small and a lot of inbreeding is occurring with the problems that causes.

·
Registered
484 Posts
some things got me thinking stuff;

• Can Birds have ASD and/or ADHD? - i don't think it's possible to ever find this out because parrots don't have a social culture in the same way
  • Can birds have Downs Sydrome? no - down syndrome is triplication of chromosome 21, and birds have a different chromosomal makeup than humans
  • can birds have OCD? - same as the first one, i don't think we'd ever find out
  • Has there ever been a case were wings have to be amputated/removed? What about feet? - this is pretty common and the bird is often quite happy in life with the right accommodations
  • What's the worst disease a bird can get? maybe an encephalitis? hard to tell as birds would interpret things differently than us
  • What's the most common disease (other than URIs) birds can get? probably chlamydia ( psittacosis ). Maybe tumours in older birds.
  • Would you consiter a special needs bird more important than a non-SN bird? Would you love one more? - no
  • Most common disorders in birds? - not sure.
for parrots/captive birds

I am very much not trying to offend anyone, or be biased. I'm very sorry if this post does come out as rude, offensive, biased, hurtful, etc., to anyone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts