Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
That's a tough call to make. I'm not going to lie. There are some weeks that Gelato doesn't get to come out for more than an hour a day, and there are some weeks he is out for 4 hours at a time.

I've got a full plate as well, and next year there won't be a ton of time out of the cage. That's why I'm getting Gelato a mate, not to replace attention from me, but to help him deal w/ it when I'm at clinicals and in night classes.

If the cage is large enough, and filled with toys, he may be fine, but not as happy as can be if he is alone. Personally, I would rather have him have a nice cage, great food, safe home, and some time out of the cage than a place that will potentially be sub par. If she can find a great new home that she KNOWS will take care of him then she can go for that... maybe have it where if they feel like they can't take care of him, they will return him to her?

Maybe she can get him a girlfriend? It may help, plus Andrea says it's best to keep them in pairs to reduce stress and help keep them the happiest. Just make sure the cage is large enough.

Oh and I do agree w/ Andrea too. I was skeptical at first (not going to lie at all), but when I say how General Tso (my quaker) reacted when I adopted the stray quaker that came into my job (his name is Crab Rangoon), I couldn't believe it. She completely blossomed! She is now playing more, destroying her toys, and talking more than ever before. I don't have them in the same cage because Crabby prefers his own space, but they LOVE spending time out of the cage together. It was the BEST thing in the world for my General, so I can't WAIT to see what will happen with Gelato. If it's anything like it was for General, it will be spectaclar! :D

·
Registered
794 Posts
I agree, word for word with Catfish.

A companion/female would be the best option.

Unless she can find a definite perfectly good home with the option of getting him back if they can't handle it.

There is no point in me saying everything, because its exactly what Catfish said.

Good luck to her. ;)

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Perhaps a companion, but with or without another bird, ask her if the cage is a wonderland and very big and wide. Can you see the cage? The right toys would help greatly.

I might do that, then she knows he is healthy. Does she give him good foods? Maybe if she does those things it will be good.

·
Banned
27 Posts
My 2 cents

I'm new on this list, but I just adopted a bird that is 4 years old and hasn't been let out of his cage or worked with for a year. My other birds was a little less than a year old when I got her in June, but she was also neglected.

I am retired so the birds are out of their cages all day. If she decides to try to find a new home, she can investigate the person and maybe find someone like myself with nothing but time on their hands. Senior citizens get lonely, but can't afford $100 and up for a bird. The SPCA gives seniors free health care and pet shops give free food.

If she decides to keep him and get another bird to keep the first one company, two birds will wind up being neglected. JMO

·
Banned
27 Posts
My 2 cents

I'm new on this list, but I just adopted a bird that is 4 years old and hasn't been let out of his cage or worked with for a year. My other bird was a little less than a year old when I got her in June, but she was also neglected.

I am retired so the birds are out of their cages all day. If she decides to try to find a new home, she can investigate the person and maybe find someone like myself with nothing but time on their hands. Senior citizens get lonely, but can't afford $100 and up for a bird. The SPCA gives seniors free health care and pet shops give free food.

If she decides to keep him and get another bird to keep the first one company, two birds will wind up being neglected. JMO

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I think it depends on where you are. . . the animal control here in Oklahoma does not offer free medicine and I've never heard of pet shops here giving free food.

Investigate.

·
Banned
27 Posts
Gelato

Gelato is a great name for a fid. I'm trying to think of a good name for the spectacled I adopted last week. The forner owner named him Kronk, but that sounds more like the sound your car makes when it hits a bump in the road. LOL

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
LOL Kronk is cute! I loved him in the emperor's new groove!

..... Don't judge me......

I love Disney Movies :eek:

I have so much seriousness in my life that I just love the goofy-ness of Disney~

Anyways! Back on topic. I'm a nutrition major, so I named all my pets after food. It's fun trying to get a good name for them!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I thought it was 'Krunk'? I could be wrong, haven't seen it in a long while. :p I like it either way.

I tend to agree with the general response of everyone else, though. Either a friend, or ensuring that the time out IS quality time, and that the cage setup is big enough and engaging enough to keep the bird busy.

My p'let would disown me if I tried to get him a buddy. He got to have a playdate today with the other p'lets (I took him into the shop where I got him and where I work at, if you could call it that.) xD and he kept trying to run off the little male and female p'lets, the english budgie and the lovebird who were on the playstand with him. Little toebiter. Anyway, I'd be uncomfortable with trying to find a match for him, since he can be aggressive with other birds right now.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
No there's never a guarantee, my quakers didn't like each other when they first met. Now General chases poor Crabby all over the place because she wants to preen him and be next to him. He likes to just sit next to her.

Given time, and enough space, I'm sure most birds will begin to enjoy each other's company. It's not like you can just shove them in together and be like "GET ALONG! TOUGH BOOGIES!" You have to let them get to know each other.

I'm not worried about Gelato when Hpnotiq comes to live with me in the next couple of weeks. It'll take time, but I have the space and the extra cages to let them get to know each other as Hpnotiq grows up and learns to fly and perch.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Catfish, you crack me up! My boogies are totally tough. ;)

Everybody wants a girlfriend!! :D
I'm planning on getting Kismet one after I'm settled and ready for lawschool. (In a few years.)

The only thing I'm worried about is Kismet's disposition: he's very sweet, very gentle, and very mild. I want to make sure I don't get a dominatrix!! :eek:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
LOL. What's sad is that I talk like that... that's what I get for watching a 3 year old. . . especially when she over heard me say [email protected]$$ to someone and she repeated it... clear as day. She's only done that one time....

Anyways, I'm sure Kismet will figure things out w/ his girlfriend. I'm curious as to how Gelato and his girl will do... he's very bosy, opinionated, tempermental, and completely nutso. Awww. he's just like me! :eek:

I just hope Hpnotiq will be a little more... demure. We shall see.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I was hoping to get a pretty little girl from one of you guys on the east coast in a few years. We'll see!! (Poopie head!)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts