Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scooter to always have pin feathers. As soon as some go away more pop up. It’s been like this for the 6 months we’ve had him. Could it be diet related?

A quick recap: we don’t know anything about him prior to us finding him in July.

·
Super Moderator
6,666 Posts
It's hard to know without seeing him, was there any signs of barbering or plucking before you got him? If he was picking at his feathers he might have a lot coming in all at one time. Also sometimes birds just seem too molt continually because they are kept inside, and you may notice a lot of pin feathers what seems like just all the time. I don't think there's really any reason to be concerned about them, just be gentle with scritches if he lets you scratch him because they are very sensitive! You can also offer baths, although they usually help themselves to their water dish if they want a bath LOL

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
My Bogie had pin feathers almost all the time. I was surprised to learn that there was several types of causes of molting for a bird. Bogie had what the vet called " Perpetual molting " and it was not caused by anything but something hereditary. He slightly molted all the time, all year around. I never saw him lose a lot of feathers at one time, except for when he ran into something and knocked a few feathers out.

Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts