Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have 1 female and 1 male parrotlets. They generally get along well. I didn't put them in the same cage with the advice I got from the forum. They live in a 2-compartment cage. So they both have their own space. They are constantly kissing and scratching each other in the partition. I even saw my male bird vomit food to the female. But sometimes when they see me, especially my female bird can be aggressive towards my male bird. I want them to reproduce and have babies, but I have questions. Does kissing and vomiting food each other indicate that they are a couple? How should the mating process be? When should I put a bird nest? Should I remove the partition? Should I place the nest to the female bird's place or to the male bird' place? I also have a question about the puppies. I want one of the offspring to live with me. Others will be adopted by people I know and trust. But I have no other cage and no room for the new cage. Can the baby bird that I want to live with me live with its mother or father? Will this be a problem? My male bird is calmer and less aggressive than my female bird. Do you mind if it's a fledgling female I want to live with and I put it next to her father? Do they mate? I know that inbreeding is harmful in animals, and I don't want that. I will be glad if you answer my questions. Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
5,391 Posts
The "kissing and vomiting food each other " is a bonding ritual. It tends to suggest they are friendly and becoming a couple. If they become a breeding couple is yet to be determined. Mostly breeding is determined by the female and her comfort level and if she is in season. Things you can do to increase chance of breeding is to increase time of light. Feed more warm mushy food with high calories.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The "kissing and vomiting food each other " is a bonding ritual. It tends to suggest they are friendly and becoming a couple. If they become a breeding couple is yet to be determined. Mostly breeding is determined by the female and her comfort level and if she is in season. Things you can do to increase chance of breeding is to increase time of light. Feed more warm mushy food with high calories.
Thank you for your answer. So what do you think about the idea of offspring and parent living together?

·
Super Moderator
3,816 Posts
Parrotlets tend to be territorial and it depends on the birds whether they will be accepting of others in their space. You would have to experiment a little to see if they would accept each other. If they don’t, a dominant bird can injure and even kill the other one. The process to introduce them must be gradual and supervised at all times until you are certain they can accept each other and live harmoniously. Of course, there are many circumstances where it works exceedingly well so there is no harm in trying. However, parrotlets who bond with another bird may not bond with you so it is something to consider.

I don’t know anything about breeding so I can’t help you there. I, too, would have concerns if the baby lived with the parent of the other sex, but it doesn’t necessarily mean they would mate. It would be something you would again have to monitor but the difficulty for you (as you indicate in your post) would be options if you had to separate them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Parrotlets tend to be territorial and it depends on the birds whether they will be accepting of others in their space. You would have to experiment a little to see if they would accept each other. If they don’t, a dominant bird can injure and even kill the other one. The process to introduce them must be gradual and supervised at all times until you are certain they can accept each other and live harmoniously. Of course, there are many circumstances where it works exceedingly well so there is no harm in trying. However, parrotlets who bond with another bird may not bond with you so it is something to consider.

I don’t know anything about breeding so I can’t help you there. I, too, would have concerns if the baby lived with the parent of the other sex, but it doesn’t necessarily mean they would mate. It would be something you would again have to monitor but the difficulty for you (as you indicate in your post) would be options if you had to separate them.
Thank you for your answer. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
[/QUOTE

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello to you i have a male and female they are 20weeks old when I brought them the pet shop told me they come as a pair they are well bonded together they both feed seeds sometimes to each other. As someone on hear said it will be hard to bond because they are a pair they look at you as part of there flock I have know intention breeding them at the moment but have been told to put them in separate cages it sound like I have got the same cage as you. Please do your homework regarding breeding i would just rather us bonding hence the reason I will harf there cage but early days and they get on so well together
Pet supply Wood Gas Rectangle Bird

1 - 7 of 7 Posts