Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Zaizai 31g NOW

Hi guys I'm new here I have a question see if anyone can help me.
How much does a 40-days-old parrotlet weight?
I got my Zaizai when he was 4-5weeks old and I just find he's too thin.I can feel the breastbone sharp.He's like 22g.

========================================

I can't wait to share this with you guys who gave me help in this thread!!
THANK YOU!

Last two weeks Zaizai's weight getting worse.From 22g to 19g I was shocked!He is 50 days old but this number is definitely under weight.Everyday Zaizai still begging hard for formula and I gives him four times a day. He eats till the crop round full and digests fast in 5-6 hours.His poop looks kind of diarrhea that his breastbone very sharp and thin which makes me think he might has problem with parasite.
There's no professional vet for birds in my area.So I have to research by myself and I swear I never try so hard on study.I read A LOT of professional articles and thread from here.Then I decided bought some human medicine for him which parents use this for their baby.Thanks god it totally works!!
Only after 24 hours he had the medicine he became much more active and I realize his weight is coming back and keeping increasing.He looks become the other bird who I never met.He looks so happy that I never know Pacific Parrotlet can be so active.
Today is the tenth days after medicine,see the pictures below how his weight changing

10days ago

9days ago

2 days ago

and TODAY!

·
Super Moderator
5,044 Posts
If you have access to an avian vet, they will be the one that care really tell you what your bird should weigh. Hopefully there is one near you?
On average, 22grams is quite small for a Pacific Parrotlet. Assuming he's not a Green Rump Parrotlet, I would be concerned. Is he acting healthy? Does he have plenty of access to food, and is he actually eating it? Does he have access to millet? He's still young, and should have millet access 24/7. Tumi, my little guy, often needs a midnight snack of millet because their metabolisms are so fast. The fact you can feel the breastbone isn't great.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have access to an avian vet, they will be the one that care really tell you what your bird should weigh. Hopefully there is one near you?
On average, 22grams is quite small for a Pacific Parrotlet. Assuming he's not a Green Rump Parrotlet, I would be concerned. Is he acting healthy? Does he have plenty of access to food, and is he actually eating it? Does he have access to millet? He's still young, and should have millet access 24/7. Tumi, my little guy, often needs a midnight snack of millet because their metabolisms are so fast. The fact you can feel the breastbone isn't great.
Thank you for the information.
I realized he's thin when he came home.But his health looks no problem at all.
The breeder told me this little guy still needs hand feeding So I prepare formula food.He always begging hard and eats well till crop full.
From last week,he kind of start to refuse formula food.Just one or two bite then walk away.He started to try millet but not really eats them.After four days he back to begging formula again.Seems regressed in his weaning.
Now,I feed him four to five times a day with formula.He looks happy but still thin.
Is there anything can help him increase his weight?The formula what I offer him is A21

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
That does seem under weight. The average range in weight is something like 28 to 34 grams. I'd continue the hand feedings, and offer plenty of millet, along with other seed, pellets and fresh foods...giving him some choice. I might be inclined to inquire of the breeder about what's happening; issues with eating and getting enough food can be a serious problem at this age, and that weight would cause me to be concerned.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That does seem under weight. The average range in weight is something like 28 to 34 grams. I'd continue the hand feedings, and offer plenty of millet, along with other seed, pellets and fresh foods...giving him some choice. I might be inclined to inquire of the breeder about what's happening; issues with eating and getting enough food can be a serious problem at this age, and that weight would cause me to be concerned.
Thank you very much!
I offered him millet and 6-7 kinds of seeds, ground up pellets also (Nutribird B14).But looks he doesn't like pellets at all.Try millet and small seeds sometimes after formula.
For increase his weight I bought Formula One hope it works.
Anyone know this stuff ?does it good?

·
Super Moderator
4,566 Posts
You may want to try some of the nuts. They are full of energy and fats and good for putting weight on if necessary. Soft already husked ones like walnuts or peanuts without salt or other items on them can be found easily at your stores baking section.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You may want to try some of the nuts. They are full of energy and fats and good for putting weight on if necessary. Soft already husked ones like walnuts or peanuts without salt or other items on them can be found easily at your stores baking section.
Sounds great.Thank you!
I will try.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Sounds great.Thank you!
I will try.
Hello and welcome!

I just experienced a problem with my parrotlet in losing weight. He is 8 years old. He refused almost all food one day and I couldn't get him to hardly eat what he has eaten for 8 years. He started losing weight. He went from 34 grams down to 23 grams in 2 weeks! The vet said he was healthy and he said sometimes birds want something different. But Bogie just almost quit! He ate enough to keep him alive. They will not starve to death unless they are sick. Your little one will eat.

You got your bird early. I wish that the breeders would quit being so motivated to sell any bird at an age younger than 8 weeks or any bird that is not regularly eating seeds or pellets at 8 weeks. Some birds are more immature than others.

Keep feeding Zaizai the foods that works the best. If he accepts hand feeding more than seed feeding--do it. Just keep seed bowls full of seed out for him to experiment with. I know what a lot of birds love and this is Hemp seeds. This is good for them. Take one seed at a time and hand feed it to Zaizai. He will probably eat it. Feed him as many hemp seeds as he will eat at one sitting. He will act like a baby when you feed him

Keep offering him one until he eats one. Try millet the same way. One seed at at a time. He will get the hang of it. By the way--hemp seeds kinda makes them high! Really! Humans eat ground up hemp seeds( and Flax seeds) and it gives them a boost of energy.
Let us know what happens! Send some pictures.:D

·
Super Moderator
6,601 Posts
6 weeks is really young and still weaning. He's definitely not grown yet so he will get larger and gain more mass/weight. As Dana said the vet will know the appropriate weight for the body size. It's hard to pick an average, but on the small size I think full grown parrotlet are about 24-27 and on the larger 32-34. I would say most of ours on the forum fall in-between. One of my girls is little too she's 27g. It's good your weighing him hopefully he just gains and not loose, also he's so little having a full crop or not could make it fluctuate.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello and welcome!

I just experienced a problem with my parrotlet in losing weight. He is 8 years old. He refused almost all food one day and I couldn't get him to hardly eat what he has eaten for 8 years. He started losing weight. He went from 34 grams down to 23 grams in 2 weeks! The vet said he was healthy and he said sometimes birds want something different. But Bogie just almost quit! He ate enough to keep him alive. They will not starve to death unless they are sick. Your little one will eat.

You got your bird early. I wish that the breeders would quit being so motivated to sell any bird at an age younger than 8 weeks or any bird that is not regularly eating seeds or pellets at 8 weeks. Some birds are more immature than others.

Keep feeding Zaizai the foods that works the best. If he accepts hand feeding more than seed feeding--do it. Just keep seed bowls full of seed out for him to experiment with. I know what a lot of birds love and this is Hemp seeds. This is good for them. Take one seed at a time and hand feed it to Zaizai. He will probably eat it. Feed him as many hemp seeds as he will eat at one sitting. He will act like a baby when you feed him

Keep offering him one until he eats one. Try millet the same way. One seed at at a time. He will get the hang of it. By the way--hemp seeds kinda makes them high! Really! Humans eat ground up hemp seeds( and Flax seeds) and it gives them a boost of energy.
Let us know what happens! Send some pictures.:D
Hi David thank you so much for sharing your experience!
Hopefully he can weanling smoothly ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
6 weeks is really young and still weaning. He's definitely not grown yet so he will get larger and gain more mass/weight. As Dana said the vet will know the appropriate weight for the body size. It's hard to pick an average, but on the small size I think full grown parrotlet are about 24-27 and on the larger 32-34. I would say most of ours on the forum fall in-between. One of my girls is little too she's 27g. It's good your weighing him hopefully he just gains and not loose, also he's so little having a full crop or not could make it fluctuate.
got it! Thank you!!;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Last two weeks Zaizai's weight getting worse.From 22g to 19g I was shocked!He is 50 days old but this number is definitely under weight.Everyday Zaizai still begging hard for formula and I gives him four times a day. He eats till the crop round full and digests fast in 5-6 hours.His poop looks kind of diarrhea that his breastbone very sharp and thin which makes me think he might has problem with parasite.
There's no professional vet for birds in my area.So I have to research by myself and I swear I never try so hard on study.I read A LOT of professional articles and thread from here.Then I decided bought some human medicine for him which parents use this for their baby.Thanks god it totally works!!
Only after 24 hours he had the medicine he became much more active and I realize his weight is coming back and keeping increasing.He looks become the other bird who I never met.He looks so happy that I never know Pacific Parrotlet can be so active.
Today is the tenth days after medicine,see the pictures below how his weight changing

10days ago

9days ago

2 days ago

and TODAY!

·
Super Moderator
5,044 Posts
31 grams is a MUCH better weight! If you can get access to it, BeneBac for birds/reptiles will help replace the good bacteria in his gut that the medicine killed off along with whatever else they killed off. He must have picked up an infection of some sort. I would be VERY cautious with the water that you offer him, because they are much more sensitive than we are and that is an easy way for bacteria to enter their system again. He's now a BIG boy! And yes, they are VERY active normally. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
This is AMAZING progress! I'm so so happy for you guys!

What was the medicine you gave him for, if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
31 grams is a MUCH better weight! If you can get access to it, BeneBac for birds/reptiles will help replace the good bacteria in his gut that the medicine killed off along with whatever else they killed off. He must have picked up an infection of some sort. I would be VERY cautious with the water that you offer him, because they are much more sensitive than we are and that is an easy way for bacteria to enter their system again. He's now a BIG boy! And yes, they are VERY active normally. :)
Thank you!!
Yes I finally find similar birds medicine online it takes four days for delivery which sounds ok!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts