Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1 month old parrotlet, Mario, and bought a 4 months old, Hugo, later (The 4 months old came with a female, named Helen). The seller told us that Hugo and Helen mated. But when I let all 3 out to play together, Mario and Helen often follow each other. When in cage Helen and Hugo seem to be pretty close. (Mario is in another cage) I’m not sure if Helen and Mario really mated or they’re just friends.

Recently I let just Mario and Hugo out because I don’t want Mario and Helen to mate and I want Mario and Hugo to be friends. It turned out that Mario seem, somehow, either wants to play with Hugo or wants to fight or to breed!? I recently noticed that Mario tried to bestride Hugo.

I started to doubt, what if Hugo is female? Can this be possible?

Please watch this video clip
Hugo and Mario together
Playing or fighting? Or Hugo is female?

·
Super Moderator
5,096 Posts
Unfortunately, the video link you posted didn't work as the account is private. Can you post pictures, mainly of the wing edges, of each bird? The color on the edge of the wing is the main way to tell a boy from a girl in parrotlets.

·
Super Moderator
5,096 Posts
Honestly, I would separate all three birds and work on my relationship with them individually. Fighting can turn deadly fast - they are very quick and short tempered birds - and if it seems like they are fighting then they should be kept apart. I only have a single bird so I can't tell you if they normally play fight with other birds, but I wouldn't risk it. Tumi play fights with toys, but then, there is no risk that someone will end up dead. Parrotlets are both aggressive and fragile.
From that picture, I can't tell gender, but I can say that it looks like aggression based on body position and feathers.

·
Registered
885 Posts
You have to be very careful when you have two males and a female together. Jealousy can develop which can turn out to be deadly. There have been cases of possessive males killing the female if she was bonding with the other male too much. Please separate them. This picture does not look like they are playing - it looks aggressive to me. One of your birds could be injured or possibly killed in a fight. And, it can happen very quickly and you may not be able to stop it in time.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Yes to me that looks like the posture I get when I'm about to get bitten for doing something the bird doesn't like, whatever that is.
If you can't get close to them at all, I second separating them into different cages, and working individually in a separate room away from the others on the basic taming strategies - namely taking treats from your fingers and "step up". You can do 10 to 15 mins with each of them each day for training sessions.

The upper bird in the photo looks male. He has very similar colouring to my male blue pied. The other bird it is harder to tell, but from that photos and no others I would guess male too. He looks like an american white - like this picture here

This is a male American white parrotlet.

Look out for hormonal behaviours from the female. She is young and I don't know why the breeder would allowed them to mate when she is so young (4 months old? or is that just the male)???

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Chokii, separate the birds right now! Males will fight and 99% of all fights over a female ends in death. I have seen two males fight and one died! It was horrible. I have never heard of two male p'letts play fighting. It is always serious!
David

·
Super Moderator
6,632 Posts
It is a little hard to tell from the photo, but I do believe these are both males. Parrotlets do not get along well in the best of circumstances let alone when there is a female involved that may be bonded or mating with one of the males. They can be very vicious, I would not be surprised if they do not get along and need separate time out of the cage which seems to be the case. This is actually more the norm. I do like the suggestion to separate them all and work on your human bird bonds with them individually. If the two that came as a pair do well together perhaps you should just separate Mario from those two or you could at least start there. I have owned three parrotlets at the same time, it is quite a handful lol Good luck to you! Please let us know about more of your adventures 😁

1 - 8 of 8 Posts